Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

new house new garden and unknown plants

iceice Posts: 332
Hello. Relatively new to gardening, least since I've been a grown up. My partner and I bought a house and now we're beginning to see all sorts of plants appear. Some I don't recognise and could be a weed so what is it how to I care or get rid of it, as it's growing everywhere, bed grass etc

Will post photo when I've worked out how!

• FruitcakeFruitcake Posts: 810

Maybe if you can try and post a pic, someone might be able to help you. 

If your green tree icon above your reply post doesn't work, use a photosharing site like photobucket, and post the "img" code on here 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Welcome to the forum iceimage.  We see a lot of you up here in Scotlandimage.  

To post photos click on the green tree icon above where you type, then follow instructions.  This doesn't work on mobiles at the moment.

Look forward to hearing about/seeing your gardenimage

• iceice Posts: 332

does this work http://postimg.org/image/jwvueh1hf/

and http://postimg.org/image/uyl0c021b/

sorry had to find the laptop and somwhere to upload photos!

Thnks for the welcome been busy all afternoon - sure more questions to come

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are they both the same? I can only get to see one photo, the second

I would say that's Pentaglossis sempervirens, green alkanet. Nice in a wild garden, lovely blue flowers, but 

It's probably difficult to dig up, the bits left behind grow again and it goes down a long way. I have this in the garden, I like it but there may come a time when it's too much of a good thing

Glyphosate would do it, if you use chemicals, or just keep at it with the fork

In the sticks near Peterborough

PS, Hello ice, welcome to the forum, image

wooo hooo worked out how to use the tree!

it has a prickly veletly leaf too, to top one is going to flower soon, hmmm sounds like fun trying to get rid of it then!

Yes, wear gloves,image

\brillliant thankd for teh quick reponse - think I my wander around tomorrow taking photos of teh other mysterys - but they are bushier and much prettier!

We're good at plant IDs  iceimage