Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New planting

jo17jo17 Posts: 65

i need to plant up a new area where we have a new bed that has been created I have plenty of shrubs , grasses and perennials I can move from other areas to fill the space . my gut feeling is that I should wait another month or so before doing this . Any thoughts ?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi jo - what is it  that worries you - is it the size of the plants ?

If small - they should establish well enough just now. Bigger, more mature shrubs would benefit from a prune before moving to avoid stress, or moving when dormant, but it largely depends on what they are and  your own conditions and climate.  If you can give a little more info that will help with further advice  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • jo17jo17 Posts: 65

My concern is that although we've had a cool wet summer so far will the plants be stressed being moved whilst still in the growing season. Some of the grasses need dividing, the Rheum is still flourishing and the sedums might be better left till they've finished flowering. What do you think .

• jo17jo17 Posts: 65

Thanks for the reassuring advice.

I clearly have busy weekend ahead of me !

will move the grasses but leave off dividing till early spring.

Thanks again