London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 55 messages
01/01/2014 at 09:31

I've been out in my garden and counted everything that's flowering today - that means it's properly open, not in bud.

In my garden I have:

Hellebore orientalis 

Hellebore niger 

Pansies (several pots)

Violas (several pots)

Campanula poscharskyana (lots and lots)

Primrose (native)

Viola odorata

White campion

Herb robert

Groundsel

Winter jasmine

The Vinca major has fat buds but isn't open yet.

KEF
01/01/2014 at 09:44

Not in bud  That means I have:

Hellebore orientalis ( two different ones, but can only count as one, Niger not even in bud)

Polyanthus

Dianthus ( two flowers)

Forsythia ( 3 miserable flowers)

Mahonia

Fatsia japonica if I can count the pom poms as flowers.

Scabious ( two pathetic little flowers)

More winter flowering things required for next year

01/01/2014 at 09:54

You have more than me Dove.

I have:

Pansies - blue, red and yellow

Violas - several varieties in pots and in beds.

Hellebore niger, the orientalis aren't near flowering yet.

Campanula poscharskyana had some flowers on Christmas day, but they are over and it has some new buds, but not out yet.

Small purple Lamium, several flowers.

Vinca minor, 3 flowers.

A pink rose bud.

One pink flower on a penstemon - that surprised me!

2 white flowers, although rather small, on an iberis - that surprised me too.

01/01/2014 at 09:57

Oh heck.....ok, from memory after just checking out there (not so bad actually now)

To add to some of those already mentioned.....don't have Niger, pansies, vincas, white campion, groundsel, herb Robert..

Mahonia, gazanias, osteospermums, pelargoniums, bidens (still in pots), Camelias (odd one or two) stocks, wallflowers (couple with early odd flowers) winter jasmine, geum totally tangerine, nemesia, Abelia Confetti, geraniums Elke and Orion both have few and far between flowers, helleborus Corsicus, and even some yellow flowers on senecio sunshine. Daphne Eternal Fragrance .  (grasses with dead flowers and salvias Amistad and leucanthemum are holding onto spent flowers). Oh, scabious butterfly blue and pink mist showing a little.

01/01/2014 at 10:15

I have :-

nastertium( yeah who knew)

viola several pots 

cyclamen

scabious( again who knew)

hellebore x2 

(do hydrangea flowers still with colour count?) 

astrantia ( white one but can't remember which)

its it's tipping it down ATM and I'm not dressed yet so not going out lmao xx happy new year

01/01/2014 at 10:22

Forgot the little pot of snowdrops on the terrace - still in bud tho'

01/01/2014 at 10:29

Just violas and primroses for me in flower. Dwarf tulips have started poking their heads through in the pots and the daff's border is showing signs of life.

01/01/2014 at 10:36

Only looking from windows as I'm full of a horrible lurgy that my sister has kindly shared with me...

Flowers on:

Mahonia 'Winter Sun'

Lots of violas

Polyanthus

A few dianthus in a pot (don't know variety as my sister gave me them)

Christmas Box

White cyclamen

Loads of 'berried' plants :  Pyracantha, Gaultheria procumbens and Pernettya

Buds only at the moment on the hellebore I bought last spring (a white variety called 'Bob's Best')

Considering there was virtually nothing here when I moved in, I'm quite pleased. Loads of crocus I planted are pushing through and the snowdrops my sister gave me too - so plenty to look forward to. 

01/01/2014 at 10:46

Erigeron karvinskianus, Aubretia deltoides, Helleborus foetidus, Pseudofumaria lutea, a white Fuchsia, a double primrose, several colours of Primula vulgaris, one Antirrhinum, Viburnum x bodnantense, Mahonia japonica, Liriope muscari, a Coreopsis, a scabious, Jasminum nudiflorum, lots of Violas, pansies, Bellis perennis and Euphorbia peplus. Snowdrops just in bud. It really cheers me up to realise what a lot is going on in our gardens already!

01/01/2014 at 11:13

That sounds impressive landgirl, your garden sounds a lot warmer than mine. Of course I expect Verdun to have a lot out, being in Cornwall. I'm far more south, in Dordogne, but the winters can be very cold here. But at the moment it's very wet, shouldn't really walk on the lawn.

01/01/2014 at 11:23

Oh, Erica Carnea varieties are out in full flower and a couple of penstemons too.  Dianthus are showing as well. Usually some daffs are showing too but not a one in flower....plenty in bud 

01/01/2014 at 11:26

Most of my daffs are still below ground, but have a few clumps half an inch tall!

01/01/2014 at 11:51

Ok - my count made it to 11 - as landgirl said, it cheers the soul.  Thanks to Nut for introducing me to what will now become a Chicky tradition - its amazing what you can find flowering if you really go searching.

I have:

viburnum bodnatense Dawn

hazel catkins

a valiant rudbeckia still holding on to a couple of blooms

ditto with a scabious

a kaffir lily

native primrose

polyanthus

pierus

cyclamen

dandelion

rosemary (a couple of little flowers hiding at the back, in front of a south facing wall - that was my most exciting find!!)

Still to come, but not valid for todays count are 2 daphnes, lots of hellebore buds and a winter box. My gardening year has begun

01/01/2014 at 12:07

Very windy and chucking it down with rain in sussex so only a quick survey from various Windows.

In bud , ready to burst into action

Hellebores

Skimmia Kew green

Daffodils but sadly no sight of any snowdrops

In flower/berries

Sorbus Joseph rock

Sorbus aria

Helleborous Niger

Viburnum bodanantense dawn

Viburnum eve price

Primroses

Rose schoolgirl (in a very sheltered spot)

Mahonia japonica

Mahonia charity

Doesn't sound much compared to others but gives me food for thought for next year!

Happy New year 

01/01/2014 at 12:14

Guess I'll be at the bottom of the class- looking out all I have is a shrub with white flowers. As I'm still learning not sure of the name of shrub. Indoor cyclamens and plenty of cut flowers which don't count.

Weather awful not venturing out today-not even to the GC.

01/01/2014 at 12:23

Well I survived a brief tour of the garden, a wet suit would have been useful.

Corsican Hellebore

Leycestria

Sarcococca

Viburnum ? species

Erysimum Bowles mauve

2 X Fuscia, unknown cultivars

Rosa Handel and Princess Ann

Viola

Native primrose

A Hesperis hanging on

Scabious Chat Noir and Butterfly blue

01/01/2014 at 12:45

Weyplotter - your plant could be a type if viburnmum. Are the flowers little and in clusters?

01/01/2014 at 12:46

Sow thistle

Iberis sempervirens

Erodium pelargonifolium

Lamium maculatum

Chrysanthemums x 3 well past their best

Eleagnus ebbingeii

White deadnettle

Rosemary

Viburnum, deciduous pink flowered, 2 cultivars with no ID

Euphorbia ceratocarpa

Daphne tangutica

Oryzopsis miliacea

Helleborus x ericsmithii

Choisya ternata

Mahonia bealei

Mahonia ?'Charity'

Sarcococca hookeriana

Pulmonaria rubra

Red deadnettle

Dianthus, ? carthusianorum

Hazel, just a few

Daisy

Corydalis ochroleuca

Borage

Hebe ' Midsummer Beauty'

Helleborus x orientalis

Viburnum tinus

Close but not quite

Lonicera fragrantissima

Daphne 'Eternal Fragrance'

Helleborus niger

Cyclamen coum

01/01/2014 at 12:56

Nut wins I think.....although I too have sarcoccoca, the winter honeysuckle, argyranthemum....yellow variety I propagate from cuttings every year whose name is lost to me now....cyclamen and a very nice dark blue rosemary.  

Suffice to say, I think flowers are doing well for us all so far this winter and loads more to come.  Spring not so far away folks   Another hot summer to come too....hey! I was right about last summer if you recall. 

01/01/2014 at 12:59

I reckon if it's chucking it down with rain you can have an extension til tomorrow Verdun. It's very rough here now, I wouldn't want to be out there.

Roll on spring

Though it would be good to get a few more of the winter jobs done

1 to 20 of 55 messages