Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New Year's Day 2017 Flower Count

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Every New Year's Day we have a flower count to see what is blooming in our gardens.  I keep a record in my garden notebook so that I can compare each year ... nothing scientific but just out of interest.  Not tight buds, but open or almost open blooms.

I don't think my count this year will be as high as last year when it was very mild, but I have noticed a few blooms appear over the past few days. 

We're taking a trip on New Year's Day and I'll have to get up early to do my count so I thought I'd start the thread today to give newbies a 'heads up' ...... and if you're going to be away for the weekend o one's going to mind if you do your count early and post it today or tomorrow image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Records were broken here last year, but, as Dove, it doesn't seem a high count likely this year. We've had several days of frost to wipe out the stragglers.

If Sunday is the predicted wet am I allowed to do it on Monday?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Of course you are Nut image 

We may be over your way Sun/Mon - I could help you count - more fingers and toes image

I hope to persuade OH to dig up some autumn raspberry canes if you still want some?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I'll be countingimage  Doesn't look like it will take long this year ......but then there's always something that surprises meimage

I've had a prelim. look around, we have violets, can't find any Cyclamen coum and no hellebores even close.

We'll be here Dove. Both days. It would be good to see youimage

I think I'll say no to the raspberries though, thank you. They don't do well here, maybe when I've improved some more soil.

• Perhaps in the form of a pot of jam? image

Jam image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Good idea Dove. The thread I mean - not the jam....image

I might do mine tomorrow as I hope to walk on Sunday. Much the same as last year I'd guess, although I have a lovely hellebore niger this year which wasn't flowering last year.

Maybe I just hadn't bought it then....image

One fully open flower at present and two buds in the process. Nice and handy at the back door where I can see it every day   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I've done mine - it was short and sweet image

Hellebore (niger)

Hellebore 'Blue Lady' - which flowers constantly

Mahonia 'Winter Sun'

Native primulas

Polyanthus

and not quite a flower, or even a partridge in a pear tree, but a dunnock in a bird bath, which made me smile

Happy counting tomorrow   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Been out there in the drizzle, notebook in hand - not a lot in flower this NYD compared with last ...

Hellebore Ericsmithii 'Snow Love'

Sarcocca confusa - Sweet box

Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles'

Campanula poscharskyana

Viburnum bodnantense 'Charles Lamont'

Primula vulgaris

Hesperis matronalis

Crocus 'Snow Bunting'

... full of buds and almost out is Hellebore orientalis 'Tutu', and Rosa 'Bonica' has a couple of buds in colour, but I don't think they'll come to anything.

Not a sign of snowdrops or violets yet ...