London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
7 messages
18/04/2014 at 19:06

Hi

I am new to gardening and need some help please.

I have some spring flowering plants, snowdrops, daffodils etc but I need some summer plants.

What I need is something low maintenance that I can just plant and will keep coming back year after year with minimum interference from me and will provide some colour during summer autumn.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Dave

18/04/2014 at 19:54

If sunny warm spot lavendars, echinaceas, Veronica's, perennial salvias, nepeta, geraniums, rudbekias, heleniums, agastaches, chrysanthemums, asters,....there's a start 

18/04/2014 at 20:14

You need to visit the hardy perennials section at the GC  Dave. 

18/04/2014 at 20:44

Sedum 'Autumn Joy' is full proof they call it Herbstfreude now I think and copes well in a dry sunny position but got mine on damp clay and it still thrives.  Achillea (yarrow) for it's big flat umbels which hoverflies like. 

18/04/2014 at 21:20

Dave.  Welcome.  Not wishing to speak for other forum members, but.  Please believe me.  I am not puting you down or anything, for asking.  Howevr I find it a bit of a trick question.  Obviously each and everyone of us will rattle off a list of our favourite plants.  Might I suggest.  Take a stroll around a garden centre.  Now is a good time, as the summer plants are hitting the market.  Your desire to have plants reappear each year.  You will nee perennials.  Just a point.  When buying in.  Some perennials might not produce flowers this year, but they will in years to come.  Dave.  Take a look around, dot down a list of what takes your fancy, put that list to the members.  Then we each can have our say.  Believe me.  You are among friends.  We will do our best to help you.  Kind regards.

18/04/2014 at 21:41

hardy fuchsia

19/04/2014 at 09:35
Thanks for the help guys. I'll take a wander around the local garden center
Now I know what I'm looking for.
email image
7 messages