London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
09/06/2013 at 17:13

Hi, i have just found the joy of gardening and have big plans ahead for my garden.  

this is my first post ( sure many more will follow) and need some ID for this plant, or weed? 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25145.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

09/06/2013 at 17:25

Welcome to the forum Winks

Looks like an astilbe to me http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/searchbynameresults?nm=astilbe

Good for shady damp spots. 

09/06/2013 at 18:07

Thanks Dovefromabove, think I will keep it then

09/06/2013 at 18:08

I would, it looks like a fine healthy plant.  Let us have a photo when it blooms? 

09/06/2013 at 18:18

Yep, astilbe. Fluffy flowers will be white, pink or red. Likes soggy heavy soil in sun or partial shade. Whites cope better with more shade. Stems of whites are green, pinks and reds usually have reddish stems and/or leaves when they emerge. Lovely plants, best in large clumps. Good companions for similar conditions are iris sibirica, daylily (hemerocallis), darmera peltata, hosta, lobelia cardinalis, rodgersia, bergenia cordifolia and any white-variagated evergreen euonymous. Can I recommend the rhs encyclopaedia of planting combinations to you? This is a great go-to book for inspiration for newbies and old-hands alike, as well as being a lovely browse with a brew! Get the soft-back 2012 edition (I got my latest copy from Amazon, having given my old one to a friend) as it has lots of extra stuff in that'd be useful to a novice. If you've got that, plus any general encyclopaedia of plants to look up stuff you've never seen before, then you're away. Put the encyclopaedia in the car wen u go plant-purchasing so u can look up stuff when u see it at the nursery/gdn centre! And best advice a newbie can get... Plant in BIG CLUMPS. Shrubs etc can be one-offs, but for herbaceous, triangles of 3s or 5s works perfectly. Have more of less and your garden will feel balanced and mature so much faster. Hope the unsolicited advice isn't unwelcome! Bx

09/06/2013 at 20:37

have ordered a couple of books from amazon, one of them being your suggestion auntie Betty. Thanks.

email image
6 messages