London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
17/10/2012 at 20:39

I was given some of these late in the season and they're obviously not going to get to flowering before the frosts. Are they annuals or tender/half hardy perennials? If I dig one up and bring it into a cold greenhouse might it survive long enough to give me some seed? or will I just have to buy a packet next year.

17/10/2012 at 21:43

They are half hardy annuals and I fear it's too late. Buy a packet next year. They are lovely.

17/10/2012 at 21:47

Thanks B-L. I saw some in flower in a friend's garden today, I hadn't realised they were so special.

MNH
20/06/2014 at 20:36

I have grown these plants for last several years, I have easily kept them overwinter in a cold greenhouse and last winter I left a container outside. With the mild winter they survived and are now aboutv7 feet tall and covered with many hundreds of flowers. This plant is now in my top three garden plants. 

Note:- All my plants came from seeds harvested from my first plant and have noticed that there appears to be a large variation in form ie size and even absence of the basal rosette. The plants that appear to have no rosette but leaves growing along lower third of the stem tend to grow a lot taller.

20/06/2014 at 20:41

Perennial then. I did wonder if they might be, so many nicotiana species are. My Nicotiana affinis overwintered this year, that's a first. N, sylvestris often overwinters but is later to flower than seed raised.

I didn't get round to getting seed of mutabilis. I'll have to remember next year.

Lyn
20/06/2014 at 22:23

I never knew that, I wonder if I can keep mine over, do you just cut the

m down?

20/06/2014 at 22:36

I pulled the dead tops off at some point, 4 out of 10 or so regrew. 

Lyn
20/06/2014 at 22:42

Thanks Nut.

email image
8 messages