Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

No compost reviews at B&Q

nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

After buying their rubbish Verve compost last year at B&Q I thought I would take a look to see if they are still selling it. Surprise surprise they are not showing any reviews on their site for compost. Is it any wonder, after gardening for over 50 years this is the worst compost I have ever seen, they should be ashamed for selling it.It was also voted the best compost by Which magazine.

• I had 3 bags last year and was very pleased with it. Apparently the formulation differs between the different sized bags. What problems did you find?

The Which? results are based on what seem to be rigorous trials, I usually find them a great help in choosing products.

• I had some compost last year from bnq one of the 150l bags and it was ok nearly as good as asdas compost

• I'm sorry but I'm really new to gardening but I really think you get what you pay for I only use John Innings and AB's compost but my local GC has a brand call grow wise witch is JI and very good. I have bought the expand and grow this year for my baskets as It was on offer I only buy when compost is on offer.

I must admit I did buy tesco's compost one year and it was rubbish but I would only use it now to bulk up a big pot and mix it with top soil

Clueless

• Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,340

I usually use Levingtons, but a couple of yrs ago B&Q only had their own Verve brand which I bought.

I found bits of plastic, metal and glass in the 'compost' which appears to be composted household waste.
    The drainage was almost non-existent.
    I didn't risk it for sowing and tipped it on the flower beds.

I'd never buy Verve again as it is rubbish - literally.

Pete

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • That a good price I pay £3.50 for 20Lt of seed and cutting Compost

This brand on the farm yard Manure was much darker than the AB FYM but we will see how it performs this year as I added one brand to one side on my flower bed and the other brand to the other side of the bed 

I shall be adding perlite to my seed compost

Clueless

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Clueless Gardener, John Innes is a recipe, not a brand.  It could be made by just anybody and is no guarantee of good quality.

• Thank you Welshonion I did under stand that

I shall hopefully have my own compost next year But these B&Q, Asda's and Tesco compost in my opinion have to much lumps of twigs and not really of a good quality

I will be sticking to grow wise this year and AB general compost 

I like john innings for it's soil partials and well rotted compost  a really good balance

Clueless

• Iv tryed a few different brands of compost and iv found paying isnt always a guarantee of better compost 

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Think I tried Verve a few years ago - have not raced to get more.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

I bought J Arthur bowers at Morrisons last year and although was a little more was pretty good.