London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
8 messages
05/07/2013 at 12:00

Hi all - I've got a problem with my lupin plants.  For three years now I've just been getting the leaves with no flowers at all.  Can anyone help?  What's going on?

05/07/2013 at 12:57

I would guess its snails.....or slugs.  Are the leaves being eaten at the moment?  Lupins flower quite easily and readily.  I would check next spring for these critters

05/07/2013 at 13:23

Hi Verdun - miraculously no slug/snail damage visible.  Could they only attack roots? Other flowers/shrubs nearby are all OK - it's only the Lupins?  x

05/07/2013 at 15:29

No sign of,flowers coming low down?  One or two here are just appearing whilst most of mime are in full flower or,going over.  Maybe bit of patience then?

05/07/2013 at 20:39

Hello, don't know what the problem could be. How strange

Where are they situated? I have a few lupins dotted around the place and apart from the immature plants, grown from seed last year,  they have all flowered. I would certainly expect flowers after 3 years. I'm assuming the plants/leaves are mature and fairly large.

The only thing I can think of that would attack the roots are vine weavels but they tend to kill or weaken the plant and I didn't think Lupins are prone to this.

08/07/2013 at 15:41

Hi Hollie hock & Verdun - the plants are three years old but quite small leaves - approx. the size of a fag packet.  Never had flowers from them.  Do you think I've got a 'blind' plant, i.e. like you can get 'blind' daffodil bulbs that send up leaves but no flower? x

08/07/2013 at 21:58

Hi again, sorry I don't know, after 3 years I'd be tempted to give up on them given the size of the leaves. Not ever heard of a blind lupin, but maybe it's possiblity

My Lupins seem to best in partial shady spot, where are yours?

08/07/2013 at 22:15

hello, that's really odd, have never heard of that before. all my lupins were small when bought two years ago and virtually flowered the same year.

how tall are they now and have you looked into the centre of the plant to see if there are any flower stalks at all ??

if it was me, i'd be having a good rummage around the plant if all the others around it are doing ok.

hope this helps

email image
8 messages