Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Non Flowering Plants

MowmymossMowmymoss Posts: 46

Hi,

I have a Magnolia, Forsythia and Viburnum that appear to have decided not to flower this year. Driving around I can see plenty of these plants that are in full flower but my Magnolia and Forsythia are coming straight out into leaf and my Viburnum hasn't produced any flower buds at all.

Is this normal for these to skip a years flowering and is there anything I can do to ensure they flower next year?

Both the Viburnum and Forsythia are close together and both need a good prune. The Magnolia is in a different part of the garden.

Thanks

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Did you prune them in the autumn by chance? If you did, all three flower on the previous years wood so you would have lost this years flowers. If not then prune all three in late April, give them all a good feed, then leave them. You should get a good show next spring. All three should be pruned after flowering.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

None of these are out yet in my garden, give them a bit longer its been a cold wet spring. Unless as Dave says, you pruned at the wrong time!.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Magnolia does not like being pruned and will throw up lots of 'water shoots' if you do.

If anybody is thinking of buying a magnolia, make sure you can put it somewhere where it will not require pruning.

• MowmymossMowmymoss Posts: 46

Thanks guys,

Dave, no, none have been pruned.

The Magnolia is in good shape and size for its spot so haven't touched it (and won't now Welshonion.

I was waiting for the Forsythia to flower before pruning.

The Viburnum has also been left untouched, and hasn't been for the 3 winters I have been in this house. It does look messy and needs work but have been unsure about how much to cut so have never done it. In fact, I don't think it has ever flowered since it has been in my care!

Lyn, I am stilling holding out but given all round my area all 3 are in full flower, I am losing hope.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd give the forsythia a hard prune now and if that doesn't work, scrap it

Which viburnum is it?

In the sticks near Peterborough

Nut, I want to say it is a Viburnum Tinus Gwenllian but am not sure. I have attached a couple of pics.

Yes, you're right mowmymoss. I really don't know why that wouldn't flower. Has it flowered in the past?

My dream of a Viburnum flush with white flowers has yet to come true. I know it has had some flowers but minimal at best. This year, none.

Would it be the Maple sucking the life out of everything? Reason I ask is, if you look at the first picture, on the far left middle you can just see the offending forsythia. Also in the top left corner you can see what I think is a climbing hydrangea. Last summer, you guessed it, no flowers.

Three plants, in the same bed, having blooming issues. Coincidence?

A good feed and mulch perhaps and see what happens next year. You've got quite a lot of shrubs in there you could afford to dump the non-performers