London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
20/07/2013 at 13:25

We have had a trachelospurnum in a pot on a south facing patio for two years.  We water it, feed it with tomato feed.  It is amazingly healthy looking and has grown from its trellis onto the pergola, but no flowers, or sign of flowers.  It is mid to late July.  Any suggestions.

22/07/2013 at 12:33

Jimncogs - I had 2.  First one was in a pot which I bought when it was actually in bloom.  It died over last winter -leaves turned brown and crispy and I obviously didn't care for it correctly.  It was a sad loss. 

My second one I've had for 4 years planted out in the garden - south-facing, nice spot which gets morning to late afternoon sun.  Every year it throws out new glossy leaves, then a few have red tips and it always looks as if 'this year' it might produce flowers - but it never has.  Around July/August it always looks promising and then absolutely nothing happens.  I've never figured out what to do with it to get it to produce flowers.

I think in fact that I posted on here about it a few times over the years and here I am back again.   I'm considering digging it up and putting something else in it's place but the leaves always look so nice and healthy that I can't bring myself to do it - yet!

26/04/2014 at 11:26

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/43540.jpg?width=521&height=350&mode=max

I sought out these posts from last year about non-flowering Star Jasmine.  This is the 5th year of having the one mentioned in previous post and I'm not expecting it to flower again as it has never flowered other than the blooms when I bought it in it's pot when it was about a foot high.

Here is what it looks like this Spring.  I know it isn't near flowering time at all yet but I'm nonplussed as to why it has never flowered since it was planted into the garden.  This year I hoed in a good amount of soil conditioning compost and a couple of weeks after that hoed in a handful of growmore pellets.  I have to admit though that I've almost ceased to care whether I'm applying anything worthwhile or not as I have no expectations now.  It just seems such a waste.

Is there any Star Jasmine expert out there who would know if there's any chance of flowering after 5 years of only foliage?  I feel I ought to dig it out now but the foliage helps cover a little trellis on the fence separating from a neighbour's garden and I like it being there.  It's south facing and everything else in this little border grows and flowers well. 

26/04/2014 at 11:35

I had mine (a hardy one) for about three years, without flowers, but in the third summer it flowered.  Then we had the Arctic winter of 2010/11, and temps here went down to around -20C, and it died.  But just as I was about to remove it, I spotted new growth starting from the bottom, and it began again.  Now it is very healthy, and like you say, no flowers, and every year I thought it might happen this time.  Last year, there were flowers but not many.  And yet the leaves, as you say, look so healthy and glossy.  Very frustrating. 

26/04/2014 at 12:12

Never grown one, so this is just a slightly educated guess, but instead of feeding with a balanced NPK fertiliser this spring, I'd give it a good dose of Sulfate of Potash  right now and see if that will give it a bit of a kick up the btm 

email image
5 messages