Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Oddity

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

This is from seed in last years seed swap, I can't remember who sent it to me.

It came as Digitalis grandiflora. I think it must have crossed with something, its leaves are like D. purpurea, It's flowering in the first year, it's fasciated, and about 9 inches tall

Pictured from front and back

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Very pretty Nut image I love the way you know that it's been crossed with something, so knowledgeable, I wouldn't have a clue image Maybe one day........

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Good photos, great qualityimage  Is this the same camera that you normally use? As I think you have the same as I do, but I never seem to achieve that qualityimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Strange thing it looks to me OL.

Digitalis grandiflora is yellow and the leaves are different, you cant see the leaves in my pic but they're like the standard purple foxglove. 

There are more plants from the seeds but this is the only one flowering this year

Hit and miss, that's my photos artjakimage Took lots to get some in focus.

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Not a regular Digitalis admittedly (I know what they are now LOL..... I bought one last week) but I think it's still pretty image

I shall be very interested to see what the rest of the seeds produce. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Try digitalis monstruosa.

It has the flattened flower at the top, but seed does not seem to be available, so maybe it's just a fasciation

It looks like fasciation fidget, the stem is a bit flattened, though not extreme, and there are lots of buds all squashed up together at the top.

and it's really short. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

It would be interesting to see if it sets seed and then comes true. You might have t&m beating a path to your door.image

• pr1mr0sepr1mr0se Posts: 1,193

I also think it's a case of fasciation.  I had a foxglove the other year that was quite spectacular in its flattened form.  I hoped it was something rather special, and had visions of a new strain of Digitalis Violetus being all the rage.  No such luck!