Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Office Plant Identification

Hi there!

Please could somebody identify this office plant I seem to have adopted? Its flowers are red with four petals and has a thick bark/wood like stem.

I started watering and it began to bloom with new flowers but I'm worried about over watering.

If someone could give me some advice on keeping this one thriving, I'd appreciated it.

Many thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sk4qp146ofq8leu/Photo%2018-07-2014%2008%2057%2042.jpg 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

It's a Pelargonium, doesn't need watering too often. If it was mine I'd cut it back hard at the end of summer, or throw it away. It doesn't look great

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

A manky pelargonium. You need to cut it back once its finished flowering or take cuttings to make new plants or buy a replacement.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,618

A spoonful of phostrogen in its water would help. or even tomato food... or miracle grow. I know office plants get neglected but it could look so much better with a bit of TLC.  Or better still, chuck it and get a new one for a couple of quid.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

What are those sad plants behind it?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

Think they're more of the same.

Water them, giving them a good soaking, then the next day pot them on into new compost and remove all the brown leaves.

Within a week or so they'll be growing new leaves and flower buds and you'll have a reputation in the office as being a fantastic gardener image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954
    Oooh, good idea! Dove told me to bring my pelargoniums onto a windowsill for winter which is great for this year, but I'm hoping they'll multiply in future years so where will they all go? The office! Of course! Elevenses with a deadhead and water! Lovely. Smashing idea. I don't find time at home for house plants, but I'm sure I'll find time in the office..... image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

I once took a whole load of pelargoniums into the office for the winter - when we were shut over Christmas and a cold snap was threatened the lovely cleaner moved them all away from the windows and into the centre of the room and turned the heating up a bit (don't tell the boss!) image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.