London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
18 messages
01/06/2013 at 20:59

I have 2 tomato plants in a grow bag, which I water and feed weekly. I actually water twice a week when it's dry. I have lots of beautiful leaves but no flowers or fruit forming. My strawberries on the other hand are forming beautifully and are producing runners too. I am new to gardening so due to lack of experience I don't know if this is right or if I'm doing something wrong. I read somewhere that tomato plants have gone leggy! Could this be the case with mine? Any help please.

01/06/2013 at 21:13

You don't feed tomatos until the first truss ( flowers) has set. I'd stop feeding and water slightly more if they're in a growbag. 

01/06/2013 at 21:20

Thank you very much for the advice. So put them on a diet 

01/06/2013 at 21:25

haha...this maybe of some help http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Veg-A-to-Z/Tomatoes

Try not to worry, but do continue to water on a regular basis and remove the suckers. These are located between the main stem and leaves, you can't miss them, well...

01/06/2013 at 21:56

Ahh yes the suckers! I've heard conflicting advice about those. Most say to remove them and I've heard to leave them alone  so do I cut as close to the main stem as possible? And I've noticed quite a few on my plants. Do I need to remove them all?

01/06/2013 at 23:21

What variety of tomato are the plants, Herby Lou?

01/06/2013 at 23:22

depends on the variety tbh, you have indeterminate, and determinate tomatoes, essentially vine or bush. If you have vine tomatoes take out the side shoots, the 'suckers', if a bush let it grow however it likes or you will be removing fruit! I don't feed til the first truss has formed, but some do and say they get more trusses and more fruit, it's up to you, but good luck and let us know how you are getting on.

02/06/2013 at 01:32

I always grow the vine type ( Shirley, Alicante, Red Cherry amongst my favs) and have always removed them all. Not sure if they really affect a plants ability to produce but I find it makes a neater, more controllable plant especially in greenhouse conditions. Once you have about 5-6 truss, stop the plant by nipping out it's growing point - top of the plant.

If they're small I nip out with my finger and thumb - any bigger, sterile knife/scissors.

02/06/2013 at 08:24

Hi Herby,  It's too early to be seeing toms in flower, I'm guessing they are outside? I have only just put mine out, no sign of any flowers, this is normal , been very cold, just be patient and all will happen 

I know you will see toms at the garden centres with fruit already on but they are retailers not gardeners so ignore what you see, your plants will know when to flower.

Good luck x

02/06/2013 at 19:15

Ok I went to check on them today, one is a sungold, the other is a red cherry type. The red one is darker green and has more shoots and leaves. Well I removed most of the suckers now. I did notice a flower about to open up and quite a few flower buds. The shoots with the buds (although the buds are small) I left alone. I thought I'd leave them if they are to produce fruit. The sungold tomato has a small yellow flower just opened up. And again quite a few buds. I removed some of the lower shoots, as the higher ones are the ones with the buds on. I really am a novice at this. I guess it's really down to trial and error and experience. They were the only 2 plants I got out of 8 seeds, 4 of each. And I bought a young Italian plum from a garden centre which is now in a trough with marigolds. Was advised to plant near to them. Thanks for your advice

02/06/2013 at 19:31

@itsnotmyfault

My toms have been out in the plastic greenhouses for 6 weeks, all are flowering.  Alicante, Gardeners Delight and Sungold, the tumbling toms have been in a basket outside for about month now.

EDIT: Probably should have mentioned the greenhouse is left open all the time since 2-3 weeks ago.

02/06/2013 at 19:44

I have ripening fruit on my Red Alert toms but they are in kitchen and have been since they were sown at end of March. Others are outside under cover but are very small-bought as little plants a couple of weeks ago. They will grow on quickly now that weather has warmed up.

02/06/2013 at 20:08

I do have one indoor tomato plant (Alicante) which is out of control, its already 4 foot, has 6 sets of multiple flowers (some flowered and some still buds) its the same batch as the ones that are outside, that i held back in case of issues.

I am not sure what to do with it, it seems a waste to get rid of it now, but its going to take over the spare bedroom soon!

02/06/2013 at 20:15

4 foot and 6 trusses and out of control. Sounds ok to me, unless of course your not removing the suckers? These however, can get out of control.

02/06/2013 at 20:24

Suckers have been removed each time they appear, the out of control part is, that the plant has doubled in size in under two weeks and the top just keeps on going, itwill soon out grow the window sill.

I was away from home for a week with someone watering things and the top has split into two very even looking stems with equal number of trusses. I will need to provide more support as its rather top heavy.

02/06/2013 at 20:28

If you don't want it to grow any taller just stop the plant - cut the growing tips from the top of the plant.  Add a few more canes to support the plant.

KEF
02/06/2013 at 20:29

Singy, to decide which is the main stem as it's split. work from the bottom, left, right, left, right until you get to the top and remove what isn't the main shoot.

02/06/2013 at 20:43

Here is a pic, with both sides being equal and containing 3 trusses i think i will just leave it for now.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24635.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

EDIT: annoying how the pictures change orientation, is there a way to stop this?

email image
18 messages