London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
2 messages
04/05/2014 at 12:18

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44708.jpg?width=471&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/44707.jpg?width=277&height=350&mode=max

I have a beautiful old rose which was one of eight transplanted a few years ago from my late mother's garden.  They bloomed beautifully the first year and second and last year not a single one bloomed.  Everything seemed poorly in this particular border patch.

This Spring most of the roses are starting off as they should but sadly the most beautiful one seems to have contracted everything and attracted every beastie going.

This morning, following on from greenfly the last few days - it is covered in these white thrips, has black spot and the leaves on every stem are varying colours from yellow, to rusty, to green to a mix of them all.  Some are curling.  Pics above show the black spot and what I'm thinking are thrips. They look awfully big thrips!

I think I'm going to have to just dig it up as I won't have time to nurture it again for another year attempting to bring it back to health.

I know people say you should not replace one rose with another in the same place so my plan would be to choose another type of plant to take its space.  However, is it likely that the soil where this rose is could be infested and not healthy or would just the removal of the rose leave the soil (with a bit of soil improver) more or less good enough to plant something else in?  I'm not happy getting rid of a rose but family illnesses means that I don't have the gardening time I used to have and I'm concerned that its sickly state will begin to affect the other roses nearest to it and that would be even sadder!

04/05/2014 at 14:53

Hello yarrow. I think your roses are suffering like mine from the effects of a long, wet and very mild winter. The temperature didn't drop low enough for long enough to kill off all the greenfly and so on. They are now having the time of their lives in the warm sunshine, The black spot too, which is a fungal spore blown on rain drops, is the result of the mild wet winter.

Your roses are old and maybe not as resistant to these things as a younger model, or even a more modern variety. If you love them, just. keep doing what they used to like you to do, ie feeding, pruning and weeding. They will catch up as the summer progresses. If you want, you can spray for the blackspot and the greenfly, which will give them a helping hand, or you can just let nature take its course.

email image
2 messages