Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Orange alert, Orange alert

BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Yes friends, especially those who, like me, love to grow lilies and fritillaries  the lily beetle is alive and well and roaming in the gardens again.

There is nothing to do about it except to be alert, catch the dreaded beasties and jump on them from a good height.  My neighbours are used to what they once thought was a rain dance going on here.

Why a tea strainer?  well, we all know how the orange b******* turn upside down when they drop from a plant, then you can't find them, catch it in an old tea strained  (preferably not the one you use for the darjeeling or earl grey) and take the animal  to a hard surface where you can do above mentioned dance.  Be careful what shoes you wear, they can run away between cleats on boots and wellies.

No beastie killer deals with them, in spite of what is said on the bottle, except really nasty chemicals that I imagine most of us would hesitate to use in our gardens. 

So as I say, it's Orange Alert time.  

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

My lily beetles are bright red - not orange image Is there another type?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable