London (change)
Fri 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
13 messages
02/05/2014 at 19:34

hi all 

pls be gentle im new 

im quite new to garden about to plant in borders in back garden as its blank canvas at moment as its a new build house ,im after plants with orange flowers with hopefuly flower over spring and summer and would like evergreen if possabile as im quite knew not sure what look for ,plants will be going in full sun area 

thanks

02/05/2014 at 19:43

I have an semi-evergreen buddleia which has orange globes for flowers it's called buddleia globosa. It has stayed in leaf all winter, but I live in the warm south, so might depend where you are. Oh and it's in a sunny spot in poor soil and is very happy.

Have a look and see if you like it? It can grow quite big, so depends on your space, but they don't mind a good prune.

02/05/2014 at 20:07

Berberis darwinii is a spiny shrub with orange flowers and it's evergreen.

02/05/2014 at 23:04
Berberis stenophylla is very prickly and has orange flowers in spring.
02/05/2014 at 23:45

My suggestion -  Geum 'Totally Tangerine' 

03/05/2014 at 00:04

Beat me to it shirlsgw....geum Totally Tamgerine is a must.  Flowers for months over evergreen mounds.  Cannas, lilies and tulips come in orange too.

I grow echinacea Tiki Torch, Marmalade and Summer Sun.....all oramge.  And agastache heatwave. Orange gazanias too.  

Spirea Goldflame is a orange foliaged shrub with red orange new shoots amd if cut back duri g the summer a little will produce those red orange shoots again during the summer.  

Agree  with berberis Darwinii.........in spring this evergreen is covered with brilliant orange flowers.  

Ok,  many of these are not evergreen but you can get orange colour in your garden with these plants.  

03/05/2014 at 09:17

Potentillas come in orange and would give a long season of colour. They might be common but they're great value as garden plants. Crocosmia Emily McKenzie is a good orange. Heucheras come in lots of orangey yellow shades and are evergreen.

Don't forget some tulips for spring as well 

03/05/2014 at 09:34

Potentilla 'Sunset', Eremus 'Cleopatra', Lilium 'Fire King, for Springtime double tulip 'Orange Princess' Oriental Poppy 'Harvest Moon', Erysium (wallflower) 'Orange Bedder',Hemerocallis 'Mauna Loa', Tithonia rotundifolia 'Torch' Tangerine 'Arctotis fastuosa' Dahlia 'Biddenham Sunset', Helenium 'Moerheim  Beauty'.

I'm not clever, I found these in Sarah Raven's 'The Bold and Brilliant Garden'.

03/05/2014 at 09:36

Berberis Apricot Queen and Berberis Orange King are excellent, of not too commonly found, plants. We had Orange King near the entrance to a garden centre where I worked when I first left school, and when it flowered, sales went through the roof.

03/05/2014 at 13:02
Aww thanks guys for all your replys
When im home from work I Google them on the net and put them on my list
Going mix orange with white flowers too so if anyone knows fab ones pls let me know
Going mix them with green foliage and grasses
03/05/2014 at 13:29

We'll have plenty of whites to offer you - can you let us know if it's for shady or sunny areas for those? 

Osmanthus burkwoodii is a good one with scented white flowers - I planted one last autumn and it's been lovely. Christmas box (Sarcococca) is useful too - scented white flowers in winter/early spring. Little bit of shade for them but both evergreens to start you off! 

03/05/2014 at 13:48
Hi forgot say its sunny area garden is a sun trap
03/05/2014 at 13:52

One of the oranged berried pyracanthas. White flowers first then the orange

email image
13 messages