Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Orlaya grandiflora

Hi everyone.

I have just purchase some seeds of Orlaya Grandiflora, white lace flower, after seeing it in garden on an open gardens day. It was so beautiful I thought I must have some next year in my borders. However the sowing instructions were a bit vague and after going on the Internet I am even more confused. I would like to overwinter it to plant out in the spring, so if anyone out there has grown it I would appreciate any tips.

Thanks. C.

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 513

That's really pretty. Not heard of that before. We keep learning every day. I found a link to Derry Watkins nursery and they said it was a hardy annual thay may self-sow.

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi lovetogarden - I grew some Orlaya Grandiflora last year from seed - seed sown early spring and flowered same year - I have self-sown seedlings in flower at the moment. As a hardy annual I would say it could be sown September time, overwintered in cold frame conditions and planted out next Spring - given the conditions this year I'm going to grow more hardy annuals from September to see how I get on for next year !!! 

• fotofitfotofit Posts: 73

Hi everyone - thanks for the link sotongeoff - I've heard of Sarah Raven but did not know of her website and as I'm already thinking of September and January/Spring 2013 sowings it will be really useful - a bigger overdraft will also be useful !! image

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your interest, I'll try Sarah Raven again to see if I can get any further information. I thinks we will split the seed into 2 batches and try an autumn sowing and if that is not successful try again in spring. Sarah Raven's website is very good.I miss her on Gardeners World TV programme.image Let's hope next year's weather is more settled!! just looked out to see more grey skies and rain.image

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Lynda's!

SwissSue wrote (see)

I have noticed that a lot of question windows from new gardeners come up blank!

Please note that you have to press the green "Submit reply" button at the bottom of the comment window to enter your comment/question. DO NOT just press the Enter key on your keyboard, that does not work here. I know because I've done it too several times, out of habit!image