London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
7 messages
26/05/2012 at 23:42

I thought they were quite hardy plants but it seems lik of the three that I planted last year, only one seems to have made it through the monsson season. It seems also to have killed my asiatic lilly too.

27/05/2012 at 00:19

Lilies definitely don't like the damp.

If your lily is in a pot, try covering the pot over winter to stop it getting too wet.

27/05/2012 at 00:26
It was in the ground and had survived the last two winters. Just shows that constant rain is worse than bitterly cold weather.
27/05/2012 at 09:47

That's a real shame Swedboy, both these plants do well in my garden although not without incident this year myself. From two clumps of 6 alliums, I got a clump of nine and a single one. I reckon I might have disturbed the bulbs last year when planting around them, they showed leaf this year but did not flower.

As for my Asiatic lilies, I have always kept them in pots up until this year, when two full pots were transferred to two spots in my garden, one of which has been beset by slug damage much to my frustrations. The winter wet doesn't seem to have deterred them in my sandy soil although I have yet to see how they handle the real test of summer drought directly underneath my mature Eucalyptus passiflora. Next year I will be mulching with grit to prevent slug damage or putting them back in pots, depending upon how they handle the driest months.

Good luck with yours

27/05/2012 at 11:10

I grow several alliums with no problems despite the extreme cold so they are among my faves.    I shall be planting more every autumn for the foreseeable.

Tulips, on the other hand, don't like my conditions except for the small botanicals in well drained spots.  Lilies are OK in pots if taken in to shelter for winter but they don't do well in the ground.

27/05/2012 at 11:18

Love my alliums seem to muliply year after year or maybe i just plant more. Have things coming up in the garden that i have no idea how they got there. Must be my age!!!!!

27/05/2012 at 16:28

Unless you live somewhere peculiar, the cold should not be a problem for the big drumstick Alliums. After all they are natives of the Russian/Mongolian Steppes, where is gets a little colder than most places outside of the Artc circle. They dislike winter drowning though, as the water in their home is frozen in the soil, so they actually stay dry.

email image
7 messages