London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
7 messages
10/11/2012 at 15:59
Just as the late perennials are disappearing my miscanthus grasses are coming into their own. They will usually hold their flowers through the winter to make an impact. They come in a variety of foliage colours and variegation plus autumn tints but they dont seem to be widely grown and I wonder why. I have a pineapple sage with tall red flowers, 5' high, next to a white/green miscanthus in full flower as good as anything growing in the summer. Comvicing anyone?
10/11/2012 at 16:06

You're convincing me. Things are looking good out there

10/11/2012 at 16:18

There is a very wet area - heavy clay bog - of the garden and about the only thing that has flourished there is Acorus Ogon which is looking really lovely and bright at the moment.  Started off with one plant which I immediately divided and now have plenty!

10/11/2012 at 18:07
CazW. Yes acorus does spread a bit. Pretty indestructible. Try hackanochloa too. Loves moisture. It's a fantastic grass in a pot or in the ground. Mine now has its autumn orange leaves. Imperata red baron, red leaves, likes moisture but maybe not in winter so you could lift it in winter. Most of the Miscanthus do well in wettish ground. Astilbes, astrantias, primulas......loads of others.....would thrive in your wet area and consort well with grasses. Convincing you nutcutlet? That's good!
10/11/2012 at 20:57

Thanks Verdun, it would be nice to have something that has a different autumn colour.  I usually find plenty of self seeded primulas around the garden so could move some of those there as well.

10/11/2012 at 23:17

Pineapplesage is Monty's plant of the week, in his regular rag feature. Monty refers to it as a risky plant as it isn't very hardy and can be blacken by frost. It's best grown under protection and coming from Central America needs summer heat in July and August to produce flowers. Here in the NW,  July and August were a wash out with very little sun.

Sounds like your's is planted out in the garden, has it not suffered from the poor weather we've had this year and how are you over wintering it... 

11/11/2012 at 08:33
Hello zoomer44. All my salvias have done well this year despite summer washout. It is safer to grow in a large pot. Undecided this year what to do with it..may simply cover with fleece but I have cuttings and these grow vigorously to make large plant next summer. My soil is good sandy loam that drains well but this salvia, leucanthemum and microphylla usually survive our winters.
email image
7 messages