London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
01/03/2014 at 17:28

I was given some tiny bulblets of a plant some 5 years ago when I lived in France.  I was told that they were grown in a Conservatory but no other info other than that.

They have always been kept in a pot and overwintered in a cold g/h.  Last October, they eventually flowered and I managed to id them as O. caudatum (false or pregnant Sea Onion ). 

What I haven't been able to work out is whether the flowered bulbs will flower again or whether they should be discarded and also given correct position and drainage, could they be hardy enough in the UK (South West ) to plant out in the garden ?

Be grateful if anyone has any advice.......thanks 

01/03/2014 at 20:46

Try this link phillippa.

http://myfolia.com/plants/929-pregnant-onion-ornithogalum-longibracteatum

03/03/2014 at 09:27

Dave......I have tried several links but I'll check this one out so many thanks.

03/03/2014 at 09:37

no idea of  the varieties - what colour were they?  There is a wonderful orange ornithogalum that is definitely not hardy (south African?) and need to be grown in a conservatory, but my garden is stuffed with a white ornithogalum which self seeds readily and flowers profusely in a shady, rather dry area of the garden.  You see them growing wild in the vineyards in the Languedoc.

Sorry - probably not in the least bit helpful!

03/03/2014 at 09:56

GG............the flowers are white with a green stripe and the flower stalks reached about 1 mt in height.  I am 99% sure they are caudatum.

They did appear to produce seed but the bulblets produced on the large bulbs are prolific and easy to grow on.

So far, I've always grown them in a pot - outside for summer and then indoors overwinter (which is where they flowered for the first time ).

They are far too tall for use as a houseplant and I don't have room for them in my g/h hence my query as to whether anyone had tried this particular one in the garden  (south west England) given sufficient drainage.

I think I would have had trouble this winter as the garden flooded and they definitely seem to prefer dry. 

04/03/2014 at 10:08

just googled it - it looks fascinating - I'm wondering if it would like my Languedoc garden?  Its very hot and dry in summer, but can get cold and wet in winter....always looking for new ideas that can look after themselves.  Lookls as though they would not cope well outside in England in the winter though.

04/03/2014 at 10:28

GG............I have plenty of bulbils so can always send some to you if you want to grow them on and try them out.

05/03/2014 at 09:32

That would be wonderful, thank you - I'm always up for a challenge.

Being totally untechie I'm not sure how to set about letting you have my address? - it's this pm thing that I've not got to grips with yet.  Got to go out - will try it out later.  Thank you.

05/03/2014 at 17:16

GG......Tried to pm you with my email address but you are "not accepting PM's".

Don't worry...........I only just worked this PM thing out recently myself

The bulbils are here for when you can let me have your address.  Incidentally, the original bulbils came from someone in the Loire Valley region ( brother in law of my neighbour when I lived in Midi Pyr. ) so whilst they may not actually be returning "home" at least it's the same country

12/03/2014 at 13:07

Many thanks, Philippa - I've sent you a pm, I think....if I have understood how the system works.

13/03/2014 at 09:22

gg............thanks..........I have replied

18/03/2014 at 15:13

Philippa they've arrived - about to pot up individually and look forward to see how they develop.  Very exciting.  Thank you.

18/03/2014 at 18:40

GG............

05/06/2014 at 20:03

GG...........noticed you are around so a little update..........the 3 original bulbs have just sent up new flower spikes..........unfortunately, the slugs got a couple of them but at least it has answered one of my original queries which was whether the original bulbs would flower for more than one season given their propensity for producing bulbils.

Interesting also that these are starting to flower now (May/June) whereas the first flowering was October last year.

Got so many now that I think I'm going to plant in a special pocket in garden and see whether with some care and protection, they will survive a winter.

Hope yours are still thriving

06/06/2014 at 09:16

Oh yes, I was intending to let you know how mine are doing - they are in individual pots in the greenhouse and the bulbs are much much bigger now.  I am going to ask Gill Pound about them - she runs a bespoke nursery for plants which look after themselves in our hot dry conditions in the Aude area of France - not too far from where we are near Beziers.  I may take a couple of pots over there in the autumn and overwinter them in the house and see what happens - the echeverias respond well to that.  I wonder how long I will have to wait for flowers?

06/06/2014 at 11:08

Glad they are doing well.............I'd certainly be interested if you learn anything more about these plants from your nursery person. Good luck with the overwintering 

02/08/2014 at 15:56

GG.......a further update if you are still about.

The original bulbs having flowered earlier this year ( June ), I planted all 3 into the garden ( at the base of a south facing stone wall ) and thy have now produced seed pods (as well as continuing to produce bulbils ).

Altho the pods are not yet ripe, I removed one and opened (out of curiosity...I'm not liable to run out of this plant in my lifetime I fear ).  The pods are only small but in 3 sections and I retrieved 10 black seeds from the one pod ).

I shall let the others ripen and then sow and see how easily they germinate.  Be interesting to see how they do 

09/08/2014 at 11:49

bump for GG

09/08/2014 at 12:13

They are certainly an interesting plant.

P - how do you resurrect a thread that has gone past? I'm so ignorant of the techie stuff and this did not come up on my email.

09/08/2014 at 12:53

GG...........as I started this particular thread, it shows on the RH side of the list of my posts.  I just bring it up and add a new message ( doesn't matter what you write), submit reply and it comes to the top of Latest Posts.

Otherwise I think you can just pop the thread title into the Search box and it should then appear and you can add a post as normal.

Sadly, that's about the limit of my techie knowledge as I'm still using a 3 year old laptop.

1 to 20 of 21 messages