London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
9 messages
14/04/2014 at 19:55

My osteo has gone mad and I really need to cut it back.  I'm not sure how to tackle it, so any help would be greatly appreciated 

14/04/2014 at 23:41

I take it your osteospurmum is a ground covering hardy type? Mine is spreading quite a bit,I have trimmed some of it back already. I wasn't shy. And it is ok. I would do it when it isn't too hot. Try not to cut too much of the old woody bit.

15/04/2014 at 00:22

Somehow, I know how you feel.  Both of my daughters seem to have inherited my love of horticulture.  However, I find as in the case of most fellow gardeners.  The mere thought, mention of cuttin back or down .  Can I deal with this in the shortest way.  Ground cover plants. They will spread out for evevr.  Sad to say.  They will become very woody, and in time. The center of the plant will be just a mass of stalks.  Believe me.  You have got to take the bull by the horns. Cut it back hard every season.  Also in the meantime.  Take cuttings, because, in time.  sooner or later. Your plant will exhaust itself.  Please forget this inhibition about cutting back.  Todays plants are mainly those cultivated, propagated etc by man.  In the natural world.  Things automatically take care of themselves.

15/04/2014 at 07:46

Osteospermums benefit from being cut back now.  Lift  those straggly stems and trim back quite severely.  Look out for stems that may have rooted....often they do.  And take cuttings too...they root easily now in gritty compost.

Osteospermums in Cornwall are like  bread and butter.  They grow everywhere here.

Morning Mike  Up before me!  

15/04/2014 at 08:01

Perfect timing! I have two osteo planted last year (ground cover on a slope) which are now spreading beautifully. We did take cuttings in the autumn which are now decent sized plants, but I hadn't thought about cutting back (even though that's actually my favourite job!).

Thanks for the info! 

15/04/2014 at 12:48

they are really easy to pull out as the roots don't seem to be very deep. I removed some and found that it was like a hotel for slugs underneath! Never seen so many in one spot before....or since!

16/04/2014 at 13:18

Thanks everyone for your help, I have cut it back now so fingers crossed 

Lyn
16/04/2014 at 15:46

I pulled mine out from last year and grew new ones from seeds, blue and white. Everyone germinated and are now good sized plants. Rather treat them as annuals and grow new each year.

I agree with tootles about the slugs, they dont eat them just live there.

16/04/2014 at 17:08

Or, you could pin those spreading stems into the ground....nick them first ...and still cut back a little.  They will readiy form new plants and thicken out beautifully

email image
9 messages