Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Over Wintering Dahlias

Rich BRich B Posts: 132

Hi

Im digging out my Tubers today as there are no more flowers on any.

I have already done a few this week as 2 very excellent Ball types started to collapse. I dug 1 out and just got the same single tuber i planted,(( it has eyes)), the second the tubers had broken away from the stem so its just a collection of loose Tubers ((most have eyes)).Will these 2 be any good next year??

Also should i trim off the stringy roots from the Tubers?? i have so far but there alot coming out today.

Im cleaning them adding sulphur stuff and then there going into either sand or vermiculite in open plastic bags hanging in the shed over winter....

Good Idea?Bad Idea??

R

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

No need to cut the stringy roots off. Store them dry, not in plastic bags.

loose bits of tuber are unlikely to grow, but you can try.

Is the shed frost free?

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Rich BRich B Posts: 132
    My god.....theses things are huge.

I've dug out 3 cactus types so far and there massive, must be 20 tubers on each all from 1 or 2 planted 2 years ago. I hope I'm doing the right thing???? I want to split these so I get double next year but I'm not sure if I'm going to do them all now as there so big. Iv cleaned off as much earth as I can but it's impossible to get it all off. So far with the small er iv put them into plastic trays with larg gaps lined with paper, dusted with yellow sulphur and covered with decent compost, the remainder small stems sticking out. Not sure what I'm going to keep these 3 in there so big or if I'm going to dig up any more as they all did alright left in last year.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Before boxing them up, you should dry the tubers out a bit, by turning them upside down for a few days. It allows moisture to drain out of the hollow stems.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Rich BRich B Posts: 132

yep

the first few came out Wednesday and i stored them today. the ones dug today will be stored mid week...

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

there is a good link here...https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=59

I am leaving most of mine in the ground this year, Piling on a big load of compost on top. The ones I left in last year were fine, I have too many to dig out, then theres the space to start them off. I have taken seeds as a precaution. When I did dig them up, this is how I did it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Rich B if you want your Dahlia tubers to be clear of earth use your garden hose to wash them clean then leave them outside for a couple of days to dry.When I store mine I put them in  plastic bags without anything else when they are completely dry.I check them on the first of every month to be sure they are not rotting or drying out.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 811

Hi Bill, that's roughly how I've dealt with mine for the last 20 years or so except I wrap mine in newspaper before they are put in plastic carrier bags and hung in the garage rafters. I have an excellent survival rate. 

Busy lifting currently, some of the tubers are huge! Nice photos by the way

• I thought we should wait until the plant should be burnt by the frost before digging them up

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

That's the usual advice wgamst, but the weather has been so mild in most areas that plants could still be sitting in the ground till the end of the year and then rotting can be an issue instead. Lots of other forum members simply lift theirs at this time of year and store in the usual way to no ill effect. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...