Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Overwhelmed with Nasturtiums!

So, I think I may have got a bit giddy when sowing seeds for the first time and went a bit wild with the nasturtium seeds..

I've sown 6 different varieties as shown in this picture.

I have now got these..

Now I don't know what to do with them! They are currently in my porch. The ones closest to you on the picture are the trailing ones. Are they going a bit 'leggy' or are they supposed to do that?..

My question is... how many should I put in one hanging basket and what would be your suggestion for other plants to mix with them in the baskets?

Will the non trailing ones be okay in a hanging basket also?

If they were yours, what would you be doing with them?...

Thanks!

• Following this post! image 

I'm also in the same boat, I've also gone nuts and have tons of seedlings growing big but have no idea what to do with them other than to use around my veggie patch!  When we were in South AfrIca we had a huge patch that just did their thing!  However now we're back in ol' Blighty I feel clueless! image

• ahh, I'm glad I'm not the only one then! I must remind myself that one seed is one plant....

I've just sown some stocks and some cherry brandy Rudbeckia. I stopped myself from sowing all 340 stock seeds!! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

The trailing ones would be better planted out near a fence or on a bank  - somewhere they can tumble and scramble - they can get very 'long' -  6 ft or so. 

The non trailing ones will be fine in the baskets.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• 6ft!! Blimey Dove, Thankyou. That's helped me decide what to do.

How many to one standard hanging basket?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Depends what else you're putting in there - but I would've thought one or two at the most - the plants will really bush out if you give them the space.

The thing about nasturtiums is that they really do best on poor soil, so don't give them fertiliser.

The problem is that other hanging basket-type plants (petunias, geraniums, fuchsias etc) really need fertiliser in order to perform well so they don't grow well together.

But a basket of just nasturtiums would look great image

Don't forget that you can eat the flowers and leaves in a salad (I like the leaves in an egg sandwich too) and if you pickle the seeds you can use them in recipes instead of capers image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• image  Hahahahaha  Laura, I'm in the middle of designing my first cut flower patch -  I have three borders to use and have realised I may have been a tad over zealous with my seed sowing.... Not entirely sure what I shall be doing with all my plants!! Hehehehe..... Rookie mistake I believe!!! 

Wow!  Never knew you could use the seeds for food too! That's awesome!! Great tips thank you Dove! 

• Thankyou Dove. Great point about them being best on their own due to their soil preference. Right, I'm going to have a fair few Nasturtium hanging baskets...best get the husband to put up some more hooks! image

• Little picture update of my Nasturtiums... just starting to flower now. I love their bright colours.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

That second one will really come into it's own in the evening light Laura. They almost seem to glow. That's my favourite colour.