Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Overwintering Strawberry Tree

lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Hello everyone, I am hoping you can give me some advice.

I recently bought a Strawberry Tree to plant in the bottom of our garden as we have an area where we get no privacy from a new, onlooking housing estate and a private road at the bottom of garden which people use as a footpath. Whilst I realise it will take some time to grow it will be perfectly placed next to our new Blue Spruce christmas tree and with it being evergreen with autumn flowers and fruit I thought it would be perfect.

I have been doing some research and have read that existing tree's should be covered in their early years to prevent frost damage, I have also read about 'frost pockets' at the bottoms of sloping gardens image which has left me wondering what to do for the best.

I have an unheated greenhouse would it be better to pot my little tree up and fleece it in the greenhouse overwinter for this year and look at planting it out in spring or get it in the ground before the hard frosts and then fleece it?

Any advice would be a great help image

• I've never grown one so can't give you any advice from my own experience, but this article  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/howtogrow/3345583/Strawberry-tree-How-to-grow.html suggests that it might be a bit late in the year to plant it out now - going by the article I think I'd do as you suggest and overwinter it in the greenhouse with some protection and a bit of tlc.

It does sound as if it's going to be lovely when it's established image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Thanks Dovefromabove, its been a lovely day here if cold so my new little tree is now nestled in its fleece in the greenhouse, I think the coutdown now is 11 weeks to spring image

• It might be an idea to keep an eye on the temperatures in the area where you're planning to plant it - checking whether it does get more frosty than elsewhere - if it does turn out to be a frost pocket you'll be forewarned about providing additional protection in future winters.image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

Hi Dovefromabove

it seems I was right about the frost pocket, the frost is much harder down there and doesn't lift the whole day, I think that is because I have a large privet hedge at the bottom of the garden maybe trapping it in, anyway have to rethink the planting site for the strawberry tree but thanks for the advice at least I've saved it for this year image