Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Pampas Grass

Hi. I need some advice please. I was given a clump of Pampas grass 3/4 years ago. The first year I had no flowers but now every year it produces lovely full creamy white feathers with each year producing more than the year before. It's a late flowering variety between end of September/October but by the time November comes like now the wind and the rain has bashed it around so much it looks bedraggled and some of the stems have snapped off. Can I retrain it to flower earlier so I get more enjoyment out of it and when is the best time to remove flowers and foliage. Also I have read mixed reviews as to whether to burn or clip foliage as to avoid harming any insects that may be hibernating in the leaves such as Ladybirds. Thanks image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I don't comb out the dead till spring which gives hibernating insects time to wander off. I don't like the burn option either other than when renovating very large clumps. As Verdun says shears are the best option or individually cut out the spent flower heads to tidy them up. Be careful though, wear gloves and long sleeves the leaves are lethal if you get in amongst them.

• I've two gardens where pampas grasses are used by hedgehogs for hibernation, so be very careful as it's too late to wake them now.

• Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't really want to cut out the flowers yet as they are still ok. The flowers have only recently come out, just a bit wind blown so when would be the latest to cut back, I've never cut this plant back and it's a bit of a monster now so maybe I should split it in the spring but it's obviously happy there. I think we do have a resident hedgehog somewhere in the garden but not sure where it might be. I certainly wouldn't want to disturb the little thing image

• Alex 4Alex 4 Posts: 56

It's well-nigh impossible to kill pampas grass - I cut or burn mine down to ground level every spring (though I have done it in winter too) - the roots are like concrete and would be impossible to shift, should I ever decide it has become too monstrous. I think any but the very young would be difficult to split. It seems the more cruel I am to my pampas grass, the more it likes it - really severe treatment, especially at the wrong time of year, only encourages it to grow even bigger and produce even more flowers! I think it has a penchant for Lady Whiplash.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

I managed to get rid of mine* with garden shears, an axe, a mattock, and a chainsaw. The chainsaw to cut up the root section into manageable pieces before removing every last bit of the things.

* He said, hopefully.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Well, like me, you hope you did. image After I finished with the chainsaw, there wasn't a single skerrick of root in the soil. I remain hopeful.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Check my avatar Verd - he's a frog...toad's are usually a bit wartier, lumpier and heftier, and mainly brownish.

That's the correct biological description too...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...