London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
25/08/2012 at 12:25

I have just purchased 2 bags of peat free compost ,as I have never used this before are there any disadvantages of using this?

25/08/2012 at 12:44

I'm not sure but I do know that within the next few years, all compost will be Peat-Free due to Some EU Regulations or something along those lines.

This might help: http://www.whitehallpages.net/news/archive/307272

25/08/2012 at 13:02

No disadvantage in normal use but do not try to set seed or pot on seedlings without cutting it down with washed sand and grit.
I find you need to watch it in pots for drying out and also add feed to the pots, slow release work well. Most of the peat free is from green waste there are large production areas now as councils collect green waste, it all goes through a huge shredder and is piled high, they turn it often and the heat gives compost in six weeks because of the heat inside the heaps.
After a lot of complaints some of this compost is now sieved before bagging all on an industrial scale so not perfect, I have found large bits of twig and plastic in some commercial bags.
For seeds put some of the compost into a container and run it through an old microwave oven in the garage then mix one third compost one third washed sand and one third grit, seeds will set in sand but for potting on seedlings some compost in the mix helps.
Hope this helps,

Frank.

25/08/2012 at 14:18

Thanks for your help.

25/08/2012 at 17:57

Watch out for Oxalis, Bermudan buttercup. The seeds of this keep appearing in all the types I have tried, even after microwaving the stuff.

email image
5 messages