London (change)
Today 13°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
5 messages
01/08/2012 at 15:33
Its the end of July and most of the pelagoniums I bought as plugs in March to grow on till May then put into beds have not yet flowered. In fact a few have hardy grown. I know the weather hasn't helped but why are the same ones flowering in the pots, albeit smaller than usual?
01/08/2012 at 15:45

Because they are unlikely to be sitting in constant wet ground as you are in control of the watering, the containers dry out quicker are a degree or two warmer and the food is at reach so to speak

Well that is my theory anyway

01/08/2012 at 16:44

Sounds good to me, how would you like to have wet feet all the time? Also it has ben very dark, and pelargoniums really do need light, lots of it.  Our old ones whch have been overwintered for a couple of years are fine, but they have mature roots, the babies - like  yours - just have not grown properly at all. 

02/08/2012 at 13:42

I agree - it's not been a good year for them and after all they are used to a warmer climate ! Most of mine are in containers as I find they never flower as well in the ground. I too overwinter mine and take cuttings for the following year. I love the regals and have a little collection but they are never allowed out unless the weather is right - the flowers are to nice to spoil !

02/08/2012 at 22:40
For sure pelargoniums would hate being in the ground so far this year. Mine are in pots too. If they are potted early in the spring, indoors, and then planted in really big containers they thrive and look majestic. They still need watering of course
email image
5 messages