5 messages
29/11/2012 at 21:18

The plants have been in glorious bloom for months on end!! Should they be cut back or left alone till later. Seems such a shame to lose the welcome colour!! If they should be pruned, where does the cut come on the stem?? Any advice much appreciated

29/11/2012 at 22:09

You will lose them soon to frost,cold and wet if left outside-get them under cover and do not cut back until next spring.

You might find the leaves go mouldy anyway and will need to be removed

29/11/2012 at 23:27

Many thanks, sotongeoff! I used window boxes as a descriptor for my containers, which are in fact inside an unheated " conservatory. " Your advice re cutting back, however, obviously applies. So I'll happily leave them till spring

Lyn
30/11/2012 at 09:44

My geraniums mostly survive in the conservatory and I wont cut mine back until absolutely neccessary. Make the most of the colour while you can. I had some in bloom all last winter and in the spring just cut them back a bit and renewed the soil.

If there are any really good ones, you could put them on the kitchen window sill and they will bloom all winter.

Whatever you decide to do with them, take some cuttings just in case. Put them in dryish seed/cutting compost and leave on kitchen windowsill.

30/11/2012 at 11:57

Our strongest plants are still blooming, having brought them in to the conservatory. They won't be cut back until early Spring when they will be re-potted outside again with fresh soil, ready for another season. 

email image
5 messages