London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
18 messages
27/05/2014 at 00:16

I am looking to find a white tree peony,  a neighbour has just what I want but the plant was in her garden when she bought the house and has no idea which one it is! 

It is a tree peony, it is white and has a single petal which is very tissue paper like. Does anyone have any ideas? I have tried to search the net to no avail.

Thanks Sara 

27/05/2014 at 06:39

Hi Sara - can't help you with the name, but thought i would let you know that i am growing one that my uncle raised from a stem cutting - so if you have some patience you might be able to grow one exactly the same as your neighbours.

also, if you can post a photo of the flowers someone on here might recognise it

27/05/2014 at 11:03

Hi Chicky, sadly it has stopped flowing now, it seemed to be early this year. I am not very technical with plants but I will research it and see if it is something I can do! 

Thanks x

27/05/2014 at 16:08

sara have a look at rhs website, or just google tree peony images, you'll spot it

27/05/2014 at 22:22

Hi Rosemummy, I have done that, I have seen some that are very like it but they just don't have the fragile petal that my neighbours does. I shall keep trying!

27/05/2014 at 22:29

Hi sara, are you sure it's a tree peony and not a tree poppy, like Romneya coulteri?

Those have large papery white petals with a yellow centre.

28/05/2014 at 01:32

We need to know if it's a peony or a poppy. I'm bothered about you saying it's a TREE peony. It doesn't exist! Tree poppy yes. Google them both and decide which you think it is. Look carefully at the flower shape. Tree poppies are VERY hard to find but you can propagate them from seed. Don't be confused by the term "tree", it's no larger than a small bush. Tree poppy ( Romneya coulteri) is always white. Get back to us.

28/05/2014 at 06:28

Of course tree peonies exist http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=711 

28/05/2014 at 06:56

what do you mean Inglezinho that tree peony dont exist?

28/05/2014 at 07:11

Some beautiful new tree poppy cultivars are coming out of Japan. I have the very old fashioned P.delavayi species. It has multiple  woody stems  all winter, unlike herbaceous paeonies which go below ground to a rootstock in winter.

28/05/2014 at 07:15

just read a full article on tree peonies!

28/05/2014 at 07:22

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47223.jpg?width=432&height=288&mode=max

Tree peony 

28/05/2014 at 07:28

Maybe they havnt reached inglezinho in Brazil yet.

28/05/2014 at 09:15

Well, well, well! You learn something new everyday!  I had no idea there was such a thing as a Tree Poppy, I shall spend sometime searching the net today. Thank you so much 

28/05/2014 at 13:36

Ta Dove, I have several "tree peonies" which were bought as such. I have never heard of "tree poppies" though. And yes, you can grow "tree peonies" from cuttings. I did a couple, but they are very slow to establish and grow. my cuttings are 4 years old and still small. I do not know if I am doing something wrong or if it is just the nature of the plant. Maybe that is why they are not cheap to buy, although a couple of years ago one of the big online retailers were giving them away  for just P&P in GW magazine. I received one as a pack of three. The other two were a magnolia and a hibiscus. They were sent as bare root plants and all are still alive.Younger form members with better memory might remember the offer, and you could enquire from the retailer.

28/05/2014 at 14:29

Feng Dan Bai’ Seems to be the nearest one I can find to it, sadly because it is early flowering I can no longer take a photo of it. I shall be patient and wait yet another year!

http://4peonies.com/FengDanBai.html 

30/05/2014 at 15:53

They are not trees, they are bushes. Max height 1.5m. RHS : "The name is is misleading".

30/05/2014 at 16:36
Inglezinho wrote (see)

They are not trees, they are bushes. Max height 1.5m. RHS : "The name is is misleading".

Nevertheless that is what they are called and the original poster was correct in what she was asking for.

Several cultivars reach 2 meters in height.

email image
18 messages