London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
16/08/2014 at 20:41

I bought some Bowl of Beauty peonies in tuber form in the spring.  Planted them in spring and they seem to have struggled ever since.  I lifted them and replanted them a bit more shallow as per a you tube video.  I know they don't like being moved around and are temperamental, so okay I'll go with the fact of not much growth this year and fingers crossed they will come to life next year.  However I noticed on one of them the leaves are starting to yellow.  Is this normal for this time of year.  Sorry may seem a daft question, but never had them before. 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/56790.jpg?width=306&height=350&mode=max

Any tips to get them to burst into life next year ? I moved one that didn't flower last year and they now get lots of sun, not full sun, but a good 5 hours I'd say, but still not much more growth. What's the trick ?

Thank you for any advice.  

16/08/2014 at 22:42

I dont think Id worry too much.  My peony is starting to look shabby now, they start to die down before disappearing for the winter.  I basically ignore mine.  Apart from a the feed that all the borders get in the spring (Fish Blood and Bone).  Mine is stuck towards the back of a border half under a conifer and it flowers beautifully each year.  I havent grown any from scratch always bought them as a green plant.  But I have ordered one that is being delivered in October (white cap) and Im not really sure what form thats going to turn up in.  Hopefully we'll both get some good advice from others in the know when they read the thread.

16/08/2014 at 23:06

Don't worry peanuts it's that time of year for the early flowering plants all beginning to look shabby now, I feed mine now or over the next few weeks, they're storing up energy for next year.

17/08/2014 at 08:58

It's just the time of year as the others have said. A small or young plant will tend to die back a bit sooner too. The 'not moving them' thing is also a bit of a myth - I've moved peonies often - in fact the new one I got this year was moved while in bud - made no difference. They need good feeding so any time you do move them, make sure you prepare the site well so that they don't go short of nutrients 

email image
4 messages