Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Peony

Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
I was given a 'sprouted from ground' peony from parents plant last year, (had plant 40+ years , having heard they didn't like being moved i initially left it in its pot , buds came but didn't open wondered if was the horrific weather we had in summer. Spotted pot had a red shoot popping out if it today , now what to do with it ? I don't know how it will be in my heavy clay peaty soil (completely diff from parents 40min away) and a lot colder here. It's a standard one , red , do I pot it up and leave there so can look after it, be bold and plant it image The original plant was from my grandparents garden , I lost them when I was very young so has a sentimental element ... image

• clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

Hi Bunny, I grew them many years ago when I lived in nth county Dublin on heavy  clay with a ph of 8.5 lots of flowers

Derek

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

Deep breath time I think. Plant it with lots of compost at the level it is in the pot. It may not flower this year, but stands a good chance. Mine are in clayey soil and OK, but not as far oop north. They really don't like being  moved or being in a pot so take a chance Bunny image

Feed regularly and cover with amulch in the autumn

• Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Oh right , good to hear. Thanks Derek .
  • I suppose it is not planted too deep in the pot? They like shallow planting.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

Hi all, this post reminded me about my Peony problems.

I have 2 Peonies in my garden, one has been there for years & I think it flowered in the first year or two that I lived here but no sign of flowers since. It is under the shade of next doors overgrown Lilac tree. I havent really done anything to it or fed it as I didnt know what to do. Please can you advise? Secondly, I have another peony shoot up last year on the opposite side of the garden (not seen it before) amongst some st johns wort, under an 8ft oak tree (shortly to be removed). I did find a GW video on peonies but it doesnt really tell me much. I have some blood fish & bone and am going to feed this year. but please can you advise?

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/creative-projects/how-to-grow-peonies/235.html

• Hi Dave.The usual reason that they don't flower is that they are planted too deep or have been mulched so that light does not get to the crown. They like fertile, moist soil and I should have thought that being under trees would mean that they did not get enough of either and you'll have to make it up to them with feeding and watering. They don't flower for long and although the flowers are gorgeous, I sometimes wonder if they are worth it. As with most other things, I'm probably wrong!!!

What should I feed with? Should I feed on planting ? Do they like full sun? Or sheltered ? I have a early sun /shade area protected by shed and fence or full sun bit exposed image

I thought it would be long shot but that's how I garden image
    Ps thanks GG , Rosa and Derek
  • I'm no expert and sometimes wonder how I have the cheek to post on this forum, but I'm interested in flowering plants and have learnt a bit. Paeonies planted in full sun will flower earlier but in more shade will get fewer, longer-lasting flowers. They need some sun every day. They need a low-nitrogen, high potash fertiliser. they are supposed to be drought tolerant and can rot if they are too wet, but in my limited experience they do better if they are fairly well-watered. Otherwise there wouldn't be any in Wales!!

Ok thanks .