London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
8 messages
01/02/2013 at 20:36

Does anyone have the peony Francoise Ortegat as some pictures I look at show a bright red but another shows a burgandy. The description is dark red to black so very confusing.

01/02/2013 at 21:03

I'm almost certain that they vary between those shades.  Also remember that pictures on the internet are never 'true' colours - so much depends on the monitor you are using, graphics settings and the camera used to take the original picture.  They only way to be certain is to buy one in bloom from a GC etc.

02/02/2013 at 08:15

When photographing a dark red to black bloom it would be difficult to show the texture of the petals without lighting it well, which would then make the colour appear lighter/redder, as of course, there is no such thing as a 'true colour' because it depends upon the amount of light available to be reflected back into your eye.

02/02/2013 at 10:08

Actually, Dove, there are scientific scales for measuring 'true' colours.  It's just not possible to do it by looking at a photo.

02/02/2013 at 11:44

Yes I know shades vary on the monitor and how strong the sunlight is when the photo is taken which was why I hoped someone was growing it and they cld tell me what they considered was the true colour. Maybe i ll just go for a white or pink.

02/02/2013 at 12:55

Hi galest, what I was trying to say is that each individual plant of this cultivar will very likely vary, some being darker than others.  You will probably find that if you buy several from the same supplier, they will be the same though (as propagated from the same stock plant), but one bought from another supplier will be slightly different. The stuff about internet colours was incidental.

02/02/2013 at 13:44

Ok thanks. Every website describes it a deep burgandy so ive decided to take a gamble and buy it especially as its described as having a strong perfume.

02/02/2013 at 15:32
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

Actually, Dove, there are scientific scales for measuring 'true' colours.  It's just not possible to do it by looking at a photo.

I thought that was what I was explaining, in untechncal language - it's part of what I'm qualified in. 

email image
8 messages