18 messages
15/06/2014 at 18:45

I already have various grasses but I'm looking for something which will give some rich colour............maybe something similar to Uncinia rubra but taller growing if there is such a thing.

I have a spot......south facing .......can anyone give me a couple of ideas, names to look for ............would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks

15/06/2014 at 18:52

Stipa arundiacea, which is now called something I can't remember, has a nice glow to it in winter

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/articles/graham-rice/10-agm-autumn-grasses

Anamathele lessoniana

Will it be Ok if I still refer to stipa?

15/06/2014 at 19:18

Anemanthele lessoniana is the new name for stipa arundinacea

15/06/2014 at 19:19

it's lovely but can be a bother as it seeds very freely

15/06/2014 at 19:28

Thanks Nut and Hostafan............I've looked at that one............could do with something a bit more broad leafed ?  Being picky I know but it is to set off  the surrounds of my Indian Star Tortoise's burial urn...........after  her 45 years I want to get it right

Thanks again

15/06/2014 at 19:33

How about a phormium? Grasses aren't very broad leafed .

15/06/2014 at 20:00

I'd have a look at some of the Dianellas - I have D. caerulea Casa Blue, which has rich blue-grey leaves and delicate blue flowers.  King Alfred has richer green leaves and purple and yellow flowers.  Both are drought and frost resistant.  

15/06/2014 at 20:04

I do like Phormiums........... have a couple ......just wasn't sure about the space available............but I think you are right and I  I should  look on those lines........there are lots of different ones available ...........thanks

15/06/2014 at 20:04

Only frost though Dove. They can't take a hard winter outside

I used to have some of those

15/06/2014 at 20:13

Dove..........thanks........don't know the D's ...........I'll have a look at them too. 

What you do for pets...........even dead ones...........both my Parrot and Tortoise after 40 plus years...........gone within 12 months of each other  So their little areas are important for me

15/06/2014 at 20:33

Nut   My dianellas have come from a rural Norfolk garden where they've survived the past 3 winters, with just a layer of mulch over them - my fingers are crossed 

15/06/2014 at 20:51

Philippa check out Imperata Red Baron......now turning blood red ar a height of 60 cm.  beautiful plant.  

Pennisetum rubrum is tender.....needs 4 degrees minimum over winter......with red grass and foxy red flowers at a height of 70 cm in summer.  Perfect for sunny spot.  There is another tender  variety called Fireworks available in the garden centres soon.

Carex buchanii is good too.....evergreen, easy and brown red foliage.  Erect and great next to hostas.  Another carex is comans bronze.....now this is a plant I really like.  Similar to buchanii but wider spreading and arching. Brilliant for sunny spot.  About 50 cm

15/06/2014 at 20:54

My Dianella was tasmanica Dove, perhaps they're not so tough.

15/06/2014 at 21:15

Not red but check out libertia Taupo blaze and similar.  Olive, copper with hints red and evergreen.  Unique feature in the garden

16/06/2014 at 18:43

Verdun......I have Imperata Red Baron but I'd wanted something evergreen for this particular spot.

I don't know the Comans but it sounds similar to C flagellifera (which I also have) but ,according to my RHS book has broader leaves which is what I'm after so I think that is definitely one for me to look at along with the other suggestions.

Thanks all for the ideas

17/06/2014 at 22:33

There is a Japanese grass called Hakonechloa, it is beautiful for a cool shady site and can be grown in a container. Comes in variegated or plain green form.

17/06/2014 at 23:37

Philippa

Not a grass, not evergreen but have you considered eucomis sparkling burgundy?  Wide maroon red leaves making a strong impact 

Kate, agree with you, hakonechloa  is a magnificent grass.  Have several clumps in garden and containers

18/06/2014 at 17:00

Verdun...........already growing  various Eucomis........a favourite of mine actually but the  plant  for this particular purpose needs to be hardy, evergreen and as near "grass like" as possible.  Tortoises, even when dead, are picky little beggars and I'm afraid, in this instance, so am I  I think I'm leaning towards your C comans at present.

Kate.....yes.......the Hakonechloa is beautiful  but unfortunately not suitable for my particular  site

Thanks all again for your suggestions

email image
18 messages