London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
41 to 55 of 55 messages
11/05/2013 at 12:44

There are some perennial and hardy Foxgloves, this is one and I had one called Carillon years ago. They're Digitalis grandiflora cultivars not the biennial D. purpurea.

11/05/2013 at 13:54

Only time will tell which if any foxgloves are truly Perennial.  I suspect none will be. My Illumination pink are currently in large pots and  due to be planted in the ground any day.  If they are as good as I hope I will be pleased.  I will dig them up in October and split them and see what happens next year.

So many new plants....like everything new....is hyped up to be sensational.  I'm never totally convinced by the salesman's patter

11/05/2013 at 14:23

D. grandiflora has proved pretty perennial for me Verdun. D.laevigata as well is in it's 3rd year. D. lutea and ferruginea vary but seed around so well I can't keep a check on longevity, I suspect 2 years at the most, after which if they're not dead they look as though they should be and I remove them. 

I agree about the salesman's patter. I was quite happy to let others do the Illumination Pink experiment. It wasn't hard. I like the standard foxgloves much more.

11/05/2013 at 17:25

I've given up ordering plants from T & M . I spent over £100 the other year because of big gaps in the garden caused by -- 15 C frost. Hardy gerberas-going to fllower all summer, produced one flower each and then disappeared. Blue verbascums got refunded because the plants were tiny plugs that died before the week was out. The tree peony never sprouted. Blue poppies died without flowering.Begonia bulbs, 2 sprouted out of 5 , and were replaced,. The replacements didn't do much better.  I then succumbed this year to 36 perennial plants for £4.99. as part of a special  with my seed order.They arrived through the letterbox. The plugs  were as big as my little finger nail. I potted them into a plug tray and now into 3 inch pots. Theres no chance they'll flower this year.. When I complained about the previous lot I was told that "all our plants are capable of flowering the first year"  I'll stick to seeds and cuttings in future.I'm not a novice. I've been growing plants for over 40 years.

11/05/2013 at 17:36

Got my illuminationi pink cheaply.."didn't pay what I see being charged now.

However, I usually try the new plants.  Some are good, very good, but others not. If illumination pink is not perennial I will getmy money back but I think I'm in for a long summer show from them

11/05/2013 at 17:47

I just get upset when what are described as "plants" turn out to be the size of  what I call seedlings. If I want seedlings I'll plant seeds. Also what is described as "hardy"  should have the overrider "only in Trebah gardens or the isles of scilly"

15/05/2013 at 13:19

Hi Pete,

Have you had a reply yet from T&M? I now have growing (hah!) misgivings around T&M. They are very late on an order of mine and I have heard nothing. They haven't even replied to my 2 emails requesting an update (despite them sending me almost daily emails of offers). The customer is far from the centre of their customer service team.

15/05/2013 at 18:09

Just planted out two of mine today and they are sending up flower spikes.  They look promising....we will see

22/05/2013 at 12:21

Two subjects on this thread - one about illumination pink foxgoves and poor service from T&M and I want to, again, comment on both.  Foxgloves delivered last year and still only 3/4" high.  No chance of them flowering this year but they are looking healthy - I must stay positive. 

On March 11th emailed T&M re perennial poppies delivered November to say they had died.  Since then have phoned, sent many eamils and written letter but still waiting for promised £10 voucher which I was going to use towards an order of over £30 with T&M but have now bought plants from local Wyevale G/C.  T&M have occasionally replied with computer generated emails but I find these quite insulting as they are obviously a fob-off! 

22/05/2013 at 13:04

Still no sign of my illumination pink from last year. If it's not showing any sign of life by the end of may it's coming out, and some more normal foxgloves are going in it's place. 

Might have been the bad wet winter, but it's clearly not reliably hardy in standard foxglove possitions.

Makes you wonder how much testing is done for the chelsea "plant of the year" award.

22/05/2013 at 14:17

My illumination pink bought last autumn are now in the ground.  Large plants with spikes appearing.  It does look like they are not truly perennial.  Got mine from QVC and will demand a full refund if they dont survive next wimter

22/05/2013 at 16:33

I bought two lots of these, one for me and one for my mother. I overwintered them in my greenhouse and planted them out about 3 weeks ago. They are beginnng to grow and are looking quite healthy. Any problems with Thompson and Morgan that I have had have been sorted out to my satisfaction.

22/05/2013 at 18:34

Still waiting for the perennial Digitalis I ordered in December, should have been delivered in April, cost £24.93 from T & M. I think I am going to ask for a refund; I need to fill the spaces that I left for them.

22/05/2013 at 18:48

I'm glad I just let them go by. Give me something I can rely on.

24/05/2013 at 15:25

Have some brilliant news about no longer being ignored by T&M.  Had phone call from pleasant and helpful lady at T&M in response to my problem dating back to 11th March.  I had previously been given two £10 codes to use for refund which had not been recognised.  When I asked which one to use she suggested using them both because of previous problems.  This I have now done so await delivery of my plants.

Good luck to everyone else with on this site waiting for refunds or delivery of illumination pink.

email image
41 to 55 of 55 messages