Start a new thread

41 to 60 of 65 replies

fidgetbones

I just get upset when what are described as "plants" turn out to be the size of  what I call seedlings. If I want seedlings I'll plant seeds. Also what is described as "hardy"  should have the overrider "only in Trebah gardens or the isles of scilly"

Gareth99

Hi Pete,

Have you had a reply yet from T&M? I now have growing (hah!) misgivings around T&M. They are very late on an order of mine and I have heard nothing. They haven't even replied to my 2 emails requesting an update (despite them sending me almost daily emails of offers). The customer is far from the centre of their customer service team.

Just planted out two of mine today and they are sending up flower spikes.  They look promising....we will see

AndytheScientist

Still no sign of my illumination pink from last year. If it's not showing any sign of life by the end of may it's coming out, and some more normal foxgloves are going in it's place. 

Might have been the bad wet winter, but it's clearly not reliably hardy in standard foxglove possitions.

Makes you wonder how much testing is done for the chelsea "plant of the year" award.

My illumination pink bought last autumn are now in the ground.  Large plants with spikes appearing.  It does look like they are not truly perennial.  Got mine from QVC and will demand a full refund if they dont survive next wimter

Advertisement

I bought two lots of these, one for me and one for my mother. I overwintered them in my greenhouse and planted them out about 3 weeks ago. They are beginnng to grow and are looking quite healthy. Any problems with Thompson and Morgan that I have had have been sorted out to my satisfaction.

artjak

Still waiting for the perennial Digitalis I ordered in December, should have been delivered in April, cost £24.93 from T & M. I think I am going to ask for a refund; I need to fill the spaces that I left for them.

nutcutlet

I'm glad I just let them go by. Give me something I can rely on.

Was about to go for the illumination pink from T & M but won't. Thanks for the warnings!

Lou12

Mmmm I was looking through plant catalogues and thinking wow! Perennial foxgloves, I must have it when I came across this post.

The crocus site also says that these are not reliable, so I won't bother. You can't beat ordinary foxgloves anyway.

Lou12

Someone may have already posted this link but I'm going to again as it's quite interesting and I'll be buying foxgloves in pots in a month or two

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01cnrby

Jimmy Crawford

It's fair to say T&M are a mixed bag. Their plugs are hit and miss, half of them will die before they are big enough to plant out, but then I only nuy them on special, so theres not much point in complaining at 20 -plugs for a fiver. Have a garden full of (non-perrenial) Foxgolves waiting to bloom. Seeds are fine from them as well, though wouldn't buy full sized plants from them. Always go more expensive and buy from Crocus.

nutcutlet

Why not buy a packet of seeds and grow your own. 

Lou12

I am going to do that but I want some flowering this year.

nutcutlet

Those perennial ones mentioned in your link are very nice. Digitalis lutea and D. parviflora. But I prefer D. ferruginea to the latter. They are perennial if rather short-lived as quality plants but they make babies very willingly.

and they are hardy unlike the Illumination series

Advertisement

Jimmy Crawford

I've got whats left of a cold frame full of seedlings waiting for the ground to defrost so I can plant them out. Some old heritage variety with peach coloured flowers.

I had high hopes for Illumination Pink a couple of years ago but they have proved a huge disappointment.

last year I had several "ordinary" white varieties that were delightful.

nutcutlet

My favourite D. purpureas are the white ones with fairy footprints inside

Yviestevie

Here are my illumination pink from last year. 

I have now moved them into the garden, don't know if they will survive.  I will let you know.

nutcutlet

Time will tell Yvie. I don't think I'd have put them out there yet. But I don't grow them so irrelevant. They aren't hardy, I think that's been acknowledged now