London (change)
Today 12°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
1 to 20 of 48 messages
06/05/2013 at 12:57

I planted out 6 of the new Tompson & Morgan Pink Illumination Foxgloves last year. Despite it being a fairly mild winter they all look as dead as the proverbial dodo. I have contacted T&M but haven't had a reply. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same result. Thanks

06/05/2013 at 13:49

Me too! Planted 6 in 2 large containers. They looked wonderful last year (bought them last year also) but nothing this year. Not even a sliver of green. Perhaps they grow every other year?

Gareth.

06/05/2013 at 14:20

They were advertised as hardy perrenials . I will try to contact T&M again and ask for a refund, they were expensive plants. Thanks for the reply.

Pete Haskell

06/05/2013 at 14:56

those 'foxgloves' are a hybrid with isoplexis, a plant from the canary islands. There'll be a lot of non-hardy genes in there.

06/05/2013 at 15:25

Thanks for the reply nutcutlet. I just checked T&M website and they are described as being a hardy perennial. My garden is sheltered, they can't be as hardy as claimed.

06/05/2013 at 15:29

Hi pete, I've seen a lot of unlikely plants advertised as hardy over the years. If you live in a very mild part of the country, maybe. But here in East Anglia, they aren't. and East anglia isn't the coldest part of the country

06/05/2013 at 15:38

I've just emailed T&M and asked for a refund. I bought another 12 plants this year.

06/05/2013 at 15:45

Good idea. I'm sure with a bit of protection they'll go through the winter but customers need to know that.

Wait for the string of posts telling us how their plants came through the winter

06/05/2013 at 15:51

Yep, I totally agree. I would never have bought them if I was aware that they are a bit tender.

06/05/2013 at 17:12

Mine were bought last autumn and subsequently potted on several times.  Since end January they have been left outside.  They are to be planted over next couple of weeks.

Its mild here so their hardiness is hard for me to judge.

T & M advertise these plants as hardy perennials so if they are not buyers should expect a refund.  I will watch this thread with interest

06/05/2013 at 17:15

I bought one at Wisley last summer - mine is dead too! I'm very disappointed and will not be buying more.

06/05/2013 at 17:23

i grow foxgloves every year...   now i cannot comment on the type you purchased as i grow mine from the seeds of the previous years flowers..   mine put on only green growth in the first year, only a few inches off the ground, then stay like that even over the coldest of winters, then in the second year they grow really tall and flower then die...  mine have never come back after the 2nd year,  but i have been told that this is due the fact that i let them go to seed.  i'm told that if you have a very slim chance of a 3rd years growth if you cut them back hard after flowering and before they go to seed...    although in my local garden center i notice that foxgloves are all labled as bienneial...

06/05/2013 at 17:29

Digitalis purpurea is a hardy biennial mentalmellor. These are the standard, 'grow in the wild' foxgloves. These have been crossed with something not hardy at all to produce a theoretically hardy perennial.

06/05/2013 at 17:41

I have 3 left to plant out - I think I will put them in a large pot and move to the greenhouse for winter. Those in the garden will have to be dug up when the weather gets cold and overwintered in the greenhouse too. I will let you know what T&M say. Thanks for the replies - please keep them coming

Pete H

06/05/2013 at 17:41

Buy real plants from real nurseries break. The nursery owner will know what he's grown and whether it's hardy or not. As well as where it will grow. Our local GC's have rows of ericaceous plants, we're miles from anywhere they'd grow. A proper nursery wouldn't be doing that.

06/05/2013 at 17:46

Thanks break23. I suppose all any disgruntled gardener can do is post the tale of woe on forums such as this to warn others. I'm going to send an email to Monty Don as well.

06/05/2013 at 17:47

I had trouble with T & M a few years back.  They supplied echinacea plugs that were much smaller than expected.

I complained....just a defensive attitude from T & M.  I complained again, more forcibly....."plants not fit for purpose"....and got full refund.

To successfully complain you need to be persistent, to contact manager, to stand your ground and DEMAND a full refund.  Believe me it works.  I complain about everything that fails to be up to expectation and never lose.

06/05/2013 at 17:53

Thanks Verdun - I'll take your advice    

06/05/2013 at 18:07

I too have had a few issues with T&M  and I am still waiting for a reply off a email I sent two weeks ago.

I have spent a couple of hundred pound with them and I am not using them again.

The plants and shrubs I have ordered are all small and very poor.

I ordered a tree peony and it was broke this was back in march and am still waiting for a replacment,I am also waiting for dhalias which I was told would be delivered in march.

I now use jparkers and I must say the plants are a lot better. 

06/05/2013 at 18:16

I'm sure Monty planted some foxgloves a few weeks ago on the telly and said they were biennial. Anyone remember this?

In defence of T&M, i've always been pleased with their products and service. The one issue I did have with a plant was swiflty addressed.

These foxgloves are a shame though. The bees loved them last year and they looked wonderful.

Gareth.

1 to 20 of 48 messages