Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Perennial Foxglove?????

petehaskellpetehaskell Posts: 130

I planted out 6 of the new Tompson & Morgan Pink Illumination Foxgloves last year. Despite it being a fairly mild winter they all look as dead as the proverbial dodo. I have contacted T&M but haven't had a reply. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same result. Thanks

• Gareth99Gareth99 Posts: 37

Me too! Planted 6 in 2 large containers. They looked wonderful last year (bought them last year also) but nothing this year. Not even a sliver of green. Perhaps they grow every other year?

Gareth.

• petehaskellpetehaskell Posts: 130

They were advertised as hardy perrenials . I will try to contact T&M again and ask for a refund, they were expensive plants. Thanks for the reply.

Pete Haskell

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

those 'foxgloves' are a hybrid with isoplexis, a plant from the canary islands. There'll be a lot of non-hardy genes in there.

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks for the reply nutcutlet. I just checked T&M website and they are described as being a hardy perennial. My garden is sheltered, they can't be as hardy as claimed.

Hi pete, I've seen a lot of unlikely plants advertised as hardy over the years. If you live in a very mild part of the country, maybe. But here in East Anglia, they aren't. and East anglia isn't the coldest part of the country

I've just emailed T&M and asked for a refund. I bought another 12 plants this year. image

Good idea. I'm sure with a bit of protection they'll go through the winter but customers need to know that.

Wait for the string of posts telling us how their plants came through the winterimage

Yep, I totally agree. I would never have bought them if I was aware that they are a bit tender.

• Gill21Gill21 Posts: 1

I bought one at Wisley last summer - mine is dead too! I'm very disappointed and will not be buying more.