London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
19 messages
16/02/2014 at 14:41

Hi all!

First post so apologies if misplaced.

I have a very small front garden say 6ft by 20ft. I will soon be erecting a small picket fence at 3ft around the border to give our little cottage a romantic feel. What I would like to do is grow some tall flowers just inside the fence that will grow over the 3ft. I like purples, pinks, yellows and whites and from the research I have done understand that perennials are the way to go. Would this be your suggestion to fellow gardeners? If so, can any of you provide a specific variety?

Very grateful and thanks in advance!

16/02/2014 at 14:48

Hi Budsgardens 

Which way does your garden face and what sort of soil does it have, sandy or stoney or clay or lovely loam?  

16/02/2014 at 14:59

Ah yes. Important details!

It faces North so gets a litte evening sun. The soil nice and loamy. Plenty of plants such as aliums thrive in it!

16/02/2014 at 16:04

Then I'd plant aquilegias, foxgloves, veronica spikata, echinacea and Canterbury Bells for a start.  They'll give you a mix of flower forms and a lovely cottagey effect.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions 

16/02/2014 at 16:27

Warm welcome budsgardens, I  also plant a couple of lupins, dahlias, and grow a couple of asters like Little Carlowe, a brilliant bluey colour and frikartii Monch a lovely lavendar blue that flowers from mid summer to autumn.  To go with them rudbekia goldsturn should reach 3' too.  There is also a dwarf version of verbena bonariensis called lollipop (from memory) thst grows over 3' .  I would also add a grass ...deschampsia gold tau that flowers at a height of about 3' for most of the summer.  Crocosmias too will add good height of colour

16/02/2014 at 17:04

How about some Japanese Anemones, These are great in white for late summer/autumn colour.

Some Gladioli Bulbs would be great too, these come in many different colours.

16/02/2014 at 17:27

I would suggest you also consider asters, echinacea's (cone flowers), hardy geraniums, hemerocallis (day lillie's), nepetas (cat mint), peony's, perovskia, phlox's and Sedum's.

16/02/2014 at 17:36

maybe a couple of hollyhocks or delphiniums for height to add the fine suggestions already made. ( make sure you have at least a couple of hostas, tee hee )

16/02/2014 at 17:52
Blimey! Plenty of google imaging tonight then!

Thanks everyone!
16/02/2014 at 19:13

verbena bonariensis tall, mauve, loved by bees. 

16/02/2014 at 19:26

my suggestion would be not to plant all perennials as even in a very small plot, a little structure wouldn't go amiss.... a tall plant/shrub here and there would be welcome... especially during the winter...

16/02/2014 at 19:30

Did you suggest hostas Hostafan?  

Have to agree with Salino......an evergreen shrub or two would give a nice framework, a bit of bulk to complement those perennials 

17/02/2014 at 09:39

Foward thinking to Winter and careful selection of winter perfume shrubs/colourful foilage will 'lift' the garden.

18/04/2014 at 08:26

'It faces North so gets a little evening sun'.  Mmmmm sounds a bit shady to me, all them Autumn echinaceas, sedums the hot loving perovskias and the like might find things a bit dark n chilly come time to flower, if they thrive at all.  Seems more like Spring to Mid-Summer planting is the solution - Aconitums, Aquilegias, Geraniums, Lupins, Delphiniums (if the blooming snails ain't a problem)  etc plus some earlyish flowering shrubs like Weigela, Deutzia maybe even a Buddliea for that evening sun. BTW all the above great bee plants!!!

18/04/2014 at 09:59

Learnt a lot! good luck  Buds

18/04/2014 at 17:52

Sounds too shady for Hemerocallis also, they need at least 6 hrs sun a day to perform well.

21/04/2014 at 12:05

I have a very similar front garden.  In fact my front garden is two large flower beds.  Facing same way as yours. I have been here 7 years.  I have a white montan growing along the wall between me and the road.  It now spreads right along it.  I planted a white lilac which I try and keep lowish.  Two budlias and couple of shrub roses which have replaced a mallow which was beautiful but died!  I have forget me nots and bluebells out now, primroses, aquilegias about to florish, japanese anenomes, perennial geraniums, heuchers, hostas and various rockery plants.  I plant up a few pots which I move about when they need a bit more sun.  Best of luck.

22/04/2014 at 13:11

I have a border on the north side of a tall, ivy-laden fence which has proved which plants will tolerate almost permanent shade.

For colour and structure in winter, I'd recommend dogwood (for its wonderful coloured stems, which can be red or yellow) and a variegated mahonia (for its lemon-perfumed flowers from November to spring). Both are also good at other times of year but at their best in winter. Once established, the dogwood needs hard pruning as soon as the sap starts to rise. Mahonia takes well to pruning also.

22/04/2014 at 13:34

My vote goes to some already mentioned - lupins, aquilegias, Japanese anemone. 

Or foxgloves? They don't mind shade, but are biennial rather than perennial. They will self seed everywhere though.

email image
19 messages