Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

perennial plug plants

I have taken advantage of the 36 free perennials from T&M. They have arrived and been potted on. Can anyone advise me if when the best time to plant these out into my garden is? The set includes, lavender hidcote, geum Mrs Bradshaw, digitalis excelsior, penstemon tubular bells, echineacea primadonna & delphinium pacific giants. Thanks

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

That depends really on how big they have got -but around September time will be fine.

• Thanks, they are in small pots at the moment and am hoping they will have grown quite substantially by September.
  • Thanks Christopher2, you are exactly right, they are very small plants. Thanks for your advice. The last thing I want to do is lose them.
  • Hi Melanie, I too got the T & M plug perennials.  I have had mine growing in pots now for about 4 weeks and they have put on lots of growth and have doubled in size.  I will keep mine in my cold greenhouse to overwinter and like Christopher says I will plant them out in the spring when i know they will have a much better chance of surviving.  It is a lot to ask of a very young plant to cope with the wet and cold winter.  I want to be sure they will flower next year so don't want them struggling. 

They did arrive as very small plugs but i thought they were very good value for money and was pleased with them.

• LowennaLowenna Posts: 88

T and M plants are tiny, but have good root systems. Either autumn or spring will do image

• Don't forget that if they are young tender plants the slugs and snails will not be able to resist them. So the stronger and tougher the plant is the better chance of surviving those little blighters!

• I have the same 36 plugs and they are currently potted into large plug pots. I plan on planting them out around October, once they have grown and about the same time I will take out a lot of the annuals I have currently in the bed.  Hope this helps

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

I would pot them on this year with a view of putting them in the ground in early spring. That gives them the best chance of surviiving as you should have reasonable sized plants by then. Am guessing that you got cell sized perenials (1 inch tall). They should grow over the next few months. Add lots of grit into the pots of Lavender and keep a watch for slugs as they love Delphinium and will eat the Digatalis.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.