London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
16 messages
13/04/2013 at 18:30

I have 3 lovely variegated perennial wallflowers in my front garden that flower from spring right thru to autumn so I am guessing they will not seed.  I have "googled" but can find nowhere that stocks them.  I cannot remember where I got them from and would like more.  Can anyone give me any clue as to where I might buy them or propogate them.  I am new to the GW forum so this is my first post.  Hopefully someone out there can held.

13/04/2013 at 18:56

I would love to know too!

13/04/2013 at 19:00

Easy to propagate from cuttings in the summer.

13/04/2013 at 19:44

Got a couple of the bowles mauve type, bought them from a market last year.They have flowered their socks off for about 9 months, grew into lovely shrubs. Not looking so great now. I've got the purple coloured leaves and the buds on mine as well. I've hastily taken some cuttings, if they don't take I will definatley get some more and have a go at taking some cuttings next year

13/04/2013 at 22:22
I grow all the perennial wallflowers as if they are annuals. I think they flower best when one to two year old but then become woody and exhausted. As joslow and others have said cuttings are so easy. Flowering plants produced in a season
My favourite....although its tender....is Variegata (always called it that) with green and white leaves and white flowers Beautiful foliage plant that's reasonably hardy here. Superb cheap summer impact
01/05/2013 at 13:32

Hi Linda Mary , I am new here to , I have just purchased some Erysimum from Notcotts , But I forgot to ask when it was safe to plant them out any assistance will be much appreciated.

01/05/2013 at 20:04

Hi benno, if the plant is fair size, I would check to see if it needed potting on and  harden it off outside before planting in the ground. They are hardy and strong plants.

Mine are flowering again

01/05/2013 at 20:11

Welcome Linda Mary and benno to the forum

Benno do you know the variety of wallflower you bought?  Some are bit hardier than others.  In any case, as already said, all of them are easy to propagate.  late spring take cuttings.  Half perlite and half multi purpose compost in a pot, put cuttings inside the rim of the pot, water and cover with polythene bag.  Leave in shade for 3 weeks or so then remove cover.  Plants grow quickly and you should be able to pot on mid to late summer for plants next year.

Perennial wallflowers are widely available.  The best, I think, is a variety called Bowles Mauve.  Bluish foliage and lavender flowers for months.  In my experience they are best regarded as short lived plants to take cuttings from every year

18/06/2013 at 13:17

This is my first message, so apologies if it does not make sense. I have a beautiful tri-coloured wallflower, originally bought 3 but have lost two. The one remaining after looking like a dried up twig has blossomed into a beautiful plant. Many of you are saying that you take cuttings, are these from the stems or the roots?

18/06/2013 at 19:21

Evening jackie and welcome

Cuttings from the stems.......look for healthy non flowering side shoots about 2 or 3" long and pull them off gently, or cut them but pulling is easy and better.  Put them in a small pot with compost mixed with sand, grit or perlite and place them around the rim of the pot.  Water.  Cover with polythene bag,and put in the shade somewhere.  In a few weeks they will have rooted so pot them up into small....9cm....pots, water and leave them in a warm sheltered part of the garden.  Overwinter in the greenhouse and plant out next spring

20/06/2013 at 12:30

Hello Verdun

Many thanks for this information, I will certainly give this a go when the plant has stopped flowering. It is currently still full of lovely pale yellow, pale people and deeper purple blooms.

I will take a photo and upload it to the network.

Once again very many thanks.

27/07/2013 at 08:07

Hello Verdun

Taken longer than expected but here is the photo.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28228.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

27/07/2013 at 11:26

Hiya jackieW.  Nice plant but ready to propagate now

Take cuttings from the stems.........look for shoots about 2 or 3 inches long low down, ideally with no flower buds on and try to gently pull downwards.  Then trim off the jagged heel with sharp knife, remove a couple of the larger leaves and put in 9 cm pot around the edge ( of the pot).  I use a mixture of compost and perlite ....try to do 50 /50 mix but I'm always in such a hurry when I do it......and push the cuttings in as far as maybe half way.  Water well, label, put polythene bag over the top and place outside in shade somewhere for 2 or 3 weeks.  When rooted remove polythene bag

27/07/2013 at 13:24

All mine have died in this heat.. we still got no rain as proromised all day today. It isnhot 24 and muggy.. have not had rain since 19th may here.. even , my large verbums are now suffering.

Lucky i took cutting.. but they are hit and miss with me.

27/07/2013 at 13:37

Your "large verbums are now suffering".  ....sorry to near that gardeningfantic. Hope not,too painful though!

I have grown variegated perennial wallflowers.....they had lovely "clean" , crisp almost white and cream foliage with bluish flowers.  Next to purple dwarf berberis, purple Heucheras or geranium black beauty (almost purple foliage) they looked wonderful.   However they were tender and slow growing ..I have some cuttings on the go now.....and last for one season as a pristine plant.  

30/07/2013 at 10:02

verdun.. lol.. my verburnums.. but we hve had rain... finally.. heavy sun night and all day today so far.. feel so blessed for it..

email image
16 messages