London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
13/11/2012 at 14:07

In September I bought a collection of perennials, some of which I haven't got around to planting yet. They are anemone hupehensis 'Serenade', Coreopsis verticillata, Clematis 'Cassandra' (a heracleifolia cultivar), Scutellaria incana, Crocosmia 'Buttercup' and Rudbeckia subtomentosa 'Henry Eilers'. There were all potted on after I got them, they're in 3L pots. Will all these be OK just standing outside or do any of them need to be in the cold greenhouse?

13/11/2012 at 14:27

well,I have just planted "Cassandra" but most clematis will be OK in the pots till you decide to plant them long as they do not dry out the others somewhere where the frost wont get them,frost will do more damage than anything

13/11/2012 at 15:19

When i moved house I took a lot of perrennials. As I was unable to plant them out and they had to get through a winter I buried the pots in the ground. Gives quite a bit of frost protction and gives more time to plant them out in spring.

13/11/2012 at 16:04
Nutcutlet, if you have space I would keep them in the greenhouse, coldframe or cover with fleece. They are all hardy but it's extra insurance. Or, Bjay's method of "burying" in the ground is good. It's enough to stop roots freezing, that's all and the plants will be all the better next spring.
13/11/2012 at 17:38

I think I'll nurture them til I know them. I always keep loads of stuff just sitting outside in pots, just waiting for this and that, but there have been losses. There's room in the greenhouse through the worst of the winter, til the cold germinating seeds need to come in anyway. I always seem to squeeze more in when I think it's full.

Thank you all

email image
5 messages