Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Perennials in 9 cm pots.....go for 'em now

VerdunVerdun Posts: 23,348

Many of the garden centres now have quite a range of hardy perennials in 9 cm pots.....cheap.   Pot them on now and again in a month and again a month later for large perennials fit for your garden this spring and summer.  They will be growing faster now than at any other time so get them potted. image

(Saved some cash this year......all my perennials are growing well from cuttings taken in August/September so no need to buy more image)

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409
    Good tip Verd - i did this with foxgloves, lupins and a few others last year ....will Visit the GC this week and see what is on offer to tempt me !
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

I got some rudbeckia goldsturm and other plants in 9cm pots early last year. by the end of the season they were really good size plants. one of the rudbeckia grown some much I divided it in two.

• TooeyTooey Posts: 95

I was having a quick look round my local garden centre earlier and they've started to put their out. Not much choice with them at the moment so I'll have to have a return visit! I brought loads of those 9cm pot perennials last year and they all did well image  

• Verdun, quick probably stupid question, but why the multiple potting on?  Could you not just go straight to e.g. 3l pot from 9cm or are there good reasons why you'd go 1l / 2l / 3l?

• That's actually a very good idea. I will have the new bed in the front garden once the drive is done in April.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Hazel - slugs are probably eating your lupins when they start shooting in spring