Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Persicaria Red Dragon

I had this in the south for many years & took a few cuttings. One survived the winter in the garage, I took a cutting, then the parent died. The cutting (in a pot) was fine till it got too dry in the summer - the foliage keeled over. Most plants would just revive with water but it didn't; fortunately I took 3 cuttings before it completely expired. 

I've planted one in a raised bed that gets sun for about 8 months of the year, I thought the garage for the other 2 over the winter.

What conditions do they like? I tried the RHS site but only get up the microcephela type, growing to .1 to .5 metre, ours was about 5 foot & can't find a reference to a taller one.

Thanks for any advice.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

It certainly thrives here in our well drained soil. Never had any trouble with it not survivng the winter either.

• XX Posts: 707

Thrives here as well, NW coast of England, sandy soil.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,277

Red Dragon is subject to plant breeder's rights and I can only find a short variety in any catalogue. Are you certain that it was a Red Dragon?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

Survives well in a cold garden in Sheffield. New growth is often hit by frost but always seems to recover. I have divided my original plant several times and it seems to thrive on it.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • Sorry Waterbutts, I can't get quote to work, but it was definitely was labelled as such, but I can only find short ones online too. The parent was bought maybe 25 years ago, so much breeding done since then!

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

It grows well here in Fife, too well. It is as Verdun has said very easy to propagate - I literally just put them in the ground or root in a vase of water and the roots pop out in 2 weeks. It has not got to 5ft here though...it has a habit of snapping in winds for me. Caterpillars seem to like the leaves as well. I just leave it outside - perhaps it is hardier than you think Jeannie? Unless you live in Cairngorm or some other really cold place?

• LiznessLizness Posts: 79

I have been told it isn't hardy in North East at 800ft

• Thanks for the help folks, I'll cossett one & treat the others mean!image  We're at sea level near the Beauly Firth, so mild compared to places 30 miles south.

They're certainly easy to propagate, & I just like the lovely markings on the leaves.