London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
12 messages
07/10/2013 at 17:03

I had this in the south for many years & took a few cuttings. One survived the winter in the garage, I took a cutting, then the parent died. The cutting (in a pot) was fine till it got too dry in the summer - the foliage keeled over. Most plants would just revive with water but it didn't; fortunately I took 3 cuttings before it completely expired. 

I've planted one in a raised bed that gets sun for about 8 months of the year, I thought the garage for the other 2 over the winter.

What conditions do they like? I tried the RHS site but only get up the microcephela type, growing to .1 to .5 metre, ours was about 5 foot & can't find a reference to a taller one.

Thanks for any advice.

07/10/2013 at 17:09

It certainly thrives here in our well drained soil. Never had any trouble with it not survivng the winter either.

07/10/2013 at 17:11

Thrives here as well, NW coast of England, sandy soil.

07/10/2013 at 17:24

Red Dragon is subject to plant breeder's rights and I can only find a short variety in any catalogue. Are you certain that it was a Red Dragon?

07/10/2013 at 17:32

I grow red dragon.  It's easy to divide.  Likes well drained soil...even poor soil, although there it grows more slowly.  So, not cuttings but division or basal pieces with a trowel.  

It's very hardy for me....s.w. Cornwall.....but it can be hit by slight late frosts.  It recovers well enough though.

It benefits by being cut back regularly in the summer.....makes a denser, richer coloured plant.  Domt like it to flower.  I would divide soon and pot up or have some fleece handy during cold winter spells or even later in the spring if frosts are still a problem.  

07/10/2013 at 18:08

Survives well in a cold garden in Sheffield. New growth is often hit by frost but always seems to recover. I have divided my original plant several times and it seems to thrive on it.

07/10/2013 at 18:35

Sorry Waterbutts, I can't get quote to work, but it was definitely was labelled as such, but I can only find short ones online too. The parent was bought maybe 25 years ago, so much breeding done since then!

07/10/2013 at 18:56

It grows well here in Fife, too well. It is as Verdun has said very easy to propagate - I literally just put them in the ground or root in a vase of water and the roots pop out in 2 weeks. It has not got to 5ft here though...it has a habit of snapping in winds for me. Caterpillars seem to like the leaves as well. I just leave it outside - perhaps it is hardier than you think Jeannie? Unless you live in Cairngorm or some other really cold place?

07/10/2013 at 19:46

I have been told it isn't hardy in North East at 800ft

07/10/2013 at 21:33

Then lizness a fleece covering will help, or a bell cloche.  If I didn't pinch mine back it would grow 8'.  It will be one of the earliest of plants to begin dying back too.  I have it in different places but always set against something else.....e.g. In front of a large senecio greyii/sunshine, under a half standard Japanese willow, near a yellow conifer.  Don't think it looks great in isolation but as a contrast plant it is excellent

07/10/2013 at 22:38

Thanks for the help folks, I'll cossett one & treat the others mean!  We're at sea level near the Beauly Firth, so mild compared to places 30 miles south.

They're certainly easy to propagate, & I just like the lovely markings on the leaves.

08/10/2013 at 07:51

You should be fine down on the coast.   i had one that survived winters down to -15C though it was sometimes slow to recover in spring.  However they don't like it any colder than that and recent winters have been much worse so I lost mine several years ago and haven't replanted.   I tried persicaria virginiana in a shady spot last year and it survived our winter very well - green leaves with a red V stripe.

email image
12 messages