Start a new thread

1 to 12 of 12 replies

Highland Jeannie

I had this in the south for many years & took a few cuttings. One survived the winter in the garage, I took a cutting, then the parent died. The cutting (in a pot) was fine till it got too dry in the summer - the foliage keeled over. Most plants would just revive with water but it didn't; fortunately I took 3 cuttings before it completely expired. 

I've planted one in a raised bed that gets sun for about 8 months of the year, I thought the garage for the other 2 over the winter.

What conditions do they like? I tried the RHS site but only get up the microcephela type, growing to .1 to .5 metre, ours was about 5 foot & can't find a reference to a taller one.

Thanks for any advice.

Berghill

It certainly thrives here in our well drained soil. Never had any trouble with it not survivng the winter either.

X

Thrives here as well, NW coast of England, sandy soil.

Red Dragon is subject to plant breeder's rights and I can only find a short variety in any catalogue. Are you certain that it was a Red Dragon?

I grow red dragon.  It's easy to divide.  Likes well drained soil...even poor soil, although there it grows more slowly.  So, not cuttings but division or basal pieces with a trowel.  

It's very hardy for me....s.w. Cornwall.....but it can be hit by slight late frosts.  It recovers well enough though.

It benefits by being cut back regularly in the summer.....makes a denser, richer coloured plant.  Domt like it to flower.  I would divide soon and pot up or have some fleece handy during cold winter spells or even later in the spring if frosts are still a problem.  

Advertisement

punkdoc

Survives well in a cold garden in Sheffield. New growth is often hit by frost but always seems to recover. I have divided my original plant several times and it seems to thrive on it.

Highland Jeannie

Sorry Waterbutts, I can't get quote to work, but it was definitely was labelled as such, but I can only find short ones online too. The parent was bought maybe 25 years ago, so much breeding done since then!

Atilla

It grows well here in Fife, too well. It is as Verdun has said very easy to propagate - I literally just put them in the ground or root in a vase of water and the roots pop out in 2 weeks. It has not got to 5ft here though...it has a habit of snapping in winds for me. Caterpillars seem to like the leaves as well. I just leave it outside - perhaps it is hardier than you think Jeannie? Unless you live in Cairngorm or some other really cold place?

I have been told it isn't hardy in North East at 800ft

Then lizness a fleece covering will help, or a bell cloche.  If I didn't pinch mine back it would grow 8'.  It will be one of the earliest of plants to begin dying back too.  I have it in different places but always set against something else.....e.g. In front of a large senecio greyii/sunshine, under a half standard Japanese willow, near a yellow conifer.  Don't think it looks great in isolation but as a contrast plant it is excellent

Highland Jeannie

Thanks for the help folks, I'll cossett one & treat the others mean!  We're at sea level near the Beauly Firth, so mild compared to places 30 miles south.

They're certainly easy to propagate, & I just like the lovely markings on the leaves.

Obelixx

You should be fine down on the coast.   i had one that survived winters down to -15C though it was sometimes slow to recover in spring.  However they don't like it any colder than that and recent winters have been much worse so I lost mine several years ago and haven't replanted.   I tried persicaria virginiana in a shady spot last year and it survived our winter very well - green leaves with a red V stripe.