Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Peter Beales

Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

So, not only are Peter Beales great for Roses but it seams they're great for Irises too! 

These came today. I couldn't believe how big they were for the price. I was expecting a quarter of the size. There's just four here.

They came with instructions and labels too! Great service. I gave them a quick soak before I put some compost round them. I probably didn't need to but I'm sure it won't hurt. The compost isn't very wet. Won't get a chance to plant them til the week end. 

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Which varieties are they Jim? I love Irises and have several deep purples. 'Night Owl' is my favourite.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Evening all. Those Irises look spectacular. 

Mike - that's terrible about the Beale's family. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

wise words indeed Mike. Unlike Mr Monty Don, " just dig a hole 6 inches deep and plant them"

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Monty's instructions here are spot on http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dn4ly 

And yes, the Beales family have had a very sad time of late image  

The firm is local to me and I think they're one of the best there is.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Hi FG, they're a species - Iris pallida pallida (Iris pallida dalmatica) sorry. I prefer to buy a species if I can rather than a variety because I like the natural variation you get and you know you can propagate from seed. Having said that, these are probably all a clone, so an un-named variety. image I love Irises. I resisted the temptation to buy more than the native flag and I. foetidissima for almost 4 years then I cracked and bought I. sibirica, and now pallida. For one of my projects at college I designed a whole garden based solely on Irises. I didn't get a very good mark though, image not really surprising if your lecturer doesn't like Irises. image I didn't care I had great fun.

Dove, I remember Monty planting Irises last year and didn't think there was anything wrong with his advice. Mine are better than his though. image He obviously didn't follow his own advice about buying from Peter Beales. image

I'd have to know what colours they are-  it's the control freak in me. There's certain colours I just won't have in the garden! image

I just bought some Chrysographes last week Jim. Have always wanted them as they are so dark. I can't resist really dark purple varieties image

Oh, they are gorgeous, I'm not normally a fan of 'black' flowers but I can really appreciate their magnificence. A species though is usually pretty much guaranteed to be one colour, not exact but that's what I like, pallida pallida is a lovely sky blue, now if you want to get all romantic, a Italian midsummer sky the kind you'd get on a Filippo Lippipainting. image

Blimey Jim- you're getting  carried away there! image

I like my Italian skies in person rather than in plants though. Actually I don't like 'blue' flowers at all unless they're purple -  and dark. More Van Gogh turbulent indigo than religious fresco...image

image Sorry FG I only just got this notification. You don't like blue flowers? Wow, they are my favourite.