Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Petunia surfina Baskets

VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

I've always brought hanging baskets ready planted and in bloom but this year i've ordered some petunia surfina jumbo plugs online but need advice. The plugs have arrived but what to do now, do i plant them in the baskets and hang them in my greenhouse until they are ready or do i pot them up and grow them on first.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Pot them on first for 3 to 4 weeks then put them in the baskets as they will get stronger in each pot better than competing with each other in a basket as a young plug.

• VoyagerxpVoyagerxp Posts: 651

Cheers Andyimage

Quick question. When i unpacked the plug plants i noticed that some of the plugs have different leaves. Do trailing Petunia have different leaves or have they not given me what i ordered which was 24 trailing Petunia plugs.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

The bottom 2 are definitely not petunia. Cant tell with the top one

• Chump83Chump83 Posts: 15

Im a bit of a novice, but the 3rd one looks like a verbena 

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Agreed;  they may well be trailing plants but the last two are not petunias. I would send the photos back to the supplier and ask for replacements.

thanks ive emailed the supplier and awaiting a responce.

• OneofsevenOneofseven Posts: 338

Voyager, it looks as if they have sent you a mixed trailing selection for a basket.   I hope they replace them for you, and you get your Surfinia petunias.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

1...petunia

2...pelargonium not a trailing one.

3...verbena too soon to tell if it will trail

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Den 246Den 246 Posts: 23

And another basket plant in the first picture, bottom right (cant remember the name but furry leaves).