10 messages
03/01/2013 at 19:29
I grew some petunias from seed last year but they ended up all long and straggerly, can anyone suggest why and what I need to do to stop them going the same this year. Thanks in advance
03/01/2013 at 19:32

Oh right- you have had another go

When did you sow the seed?

What happened with the seedlings after germination?

03/01/2013 at 19:35
Yeh, just joined didn't really know what I was doing ha, I sowed the seeds about march time, then germinated as normal but they there were about 4 tiny plants to every seed tray, I separated these but they still ended up really long and floppy not the kind of petunias you get in the garden centre.
03/01/2013 at 19:38

Where did you keep the seedlings once they had germinated?

When did you prick them out and pot them on?

Was it fresh seed and fresh compost?

03/01/2013 at 19:42
I kept the seedling in a cold frame which is south facing, it was about mid April I separated them up and potted them up, the compost I used was potting compost and the seeds where bought from a local garden centre
03/01/2013 at 19:44

So where did you sow them-4 plants per seed tray does not sound right-did they get any heat before germination?

Indoors?

03/01/2013 at 19:55
Yeh when I sowed the seeds they were tiny so ended up with more then one plant in each seed tray, I separated these so it was one plant per seed tray but they still ended up long and straggerly, they were grown outdoors in the cold frame from the point I sowed the seeds, do I need bigger seed trays maybe?
03/01/2013 at 20:07

Right lets start again

In about 2 months-mid -March--you need a half-tray-fill it with compost -level it- water it -let it drain

Then sprinkle the seed over the tray-cover lightly with compost seal in a plastic bag -place somewhere warm-check daily-does not need light until the seedlings are showing

Put the tray in the best lit place on a windowsill turning daily so they are not drawn towards the light in one direction.

When they are big enough-prick them out into bigger trays around 1-2 inches apart-you should get about 35 plants per tray to grow on in the cold frame-but protect from frost

They will then be sturdy plants to flower in the summer-you might want to pinch the tops out around the beginning of May to make bushier plants

Also protect from slugs/snails

Any questions?

03/01/2013 at 22:41
No think you have covered everything there, thanks for your help, hopefully will follow your advice and will have more success this year.
03/01/2013 at 23:15

Seedlings are often long and straggly when they don't have enough light. Petunias need warmth to germinate.

email image
10 messages