London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
4 messages
19/07/2012 at 23:13

It seems this year that wherever I went, I found that everyone elses philadelphus have been flowering away beautifully.

Mine however, did not. At all. It is not an old plant, having been planted only last year in spring - When it flowered quite freely. It is now about 4 feet tall, but has only four main stems with absolutely no buds, no side shoots and no other branches at all. Have I done something to upset it, or is it normal for relatively young plants to give a poor show? It is looking decidedly spindly. It is one of my favourite plants, and I have never had trouble growing it before. I know that now is the time to prune it, but being as it only has 4 stems on the entire plant I'm not sure what I should do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can bring it back to the shrub it should be?

Thanks in advance!

20/07/2012 at 06:08

Did you prune it last year?  Philadelphus flowers on wood made the previous year so if  it was pruned last year and then didn't make much growth that might be the problem. If it was only planted last spring it probably used all it's energy establishing a good root system rather than produce a lot of new top growth.

I would only prune philadelphus to rejuvenate it or keep it within reasonable bounds, neither of which sounds necessary with your plant as it's still a baby.  It sounds to me as if it will soon grow side shoots on the  main stems and next year you'll get flowers.

Patience 

20/07/2012 at 11:19

I posted same problem on the forum. Got loads (well some) really helpful comments. Mostly Prune. and this web site:gardenseeker.com-pruning. Hope i have the address ok. I have followed their advice but now a whole year to wait to see if I have done it OK

20/07/2012 at 11:43

Thankyou for your advice, that sounds very helpful indeed!

email image
4 messages