Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Philadelphus Advice

Mr BBMr BB Posts: 21

I have moved into my new home and making my way through the garden which hasnt been cared for in the last few years. I have come across this beauty which was covered in ivt. All ivy removed and wondering what to do with it. I would like growth throughout and for it to be smaller and healthier. Can anyone give me some philadelphus tips? I'd be really grateful.

Mr BB

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Philadelphus sometime rejuvenate quite well.  I'd take a third of the branches out to a low level this winter, then another third after flowering next summer, and the third third after flowering the following summer.  Removing the oldest looking growth first.

In February give it a good sprinkling of Fish Blood and Bone and mulch well and fingers crossed in a couple of years you'll have a more reasonably sized shrub which blooms well.

I'd take some hardwood cuttings this winter as well, as that shrub has been around a while and it would be good to grow a replacement or two as the rejuvenation may not be totally as you'd wish.  Even with a bit of plastic surgery we usually show our age somewhere image

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=387

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mr BBMr BB Posts: 21

Thanks Dove - sounds like a good plan image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

That's ok Verdun - the reason I said to start this winter was just to speed things up a bit, and doing it bit by bit means that Mr BB won't have to go without any blooms at all for a whole year. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.