1 to 20 of 25 messages
02/05/2013 at 14:23

I was thinking of growing this in a large tub,mainly because i'm not sure where it's going to end up permanently.Does anyone have one and will it survive ?

02/05/2013 at 17:48

I should think it would go a year or two in a tub Klink, more if you look after it. I keep all sorts of things in tubs for a season because I'm an impulse plant buyer and bring things home and, surprise! there's nowhere to put them

02/05/2013 at 19:13
nutcutlet wrote (see)

I'm an impulse plant buyer and bring things home and, surprise! there's nowhere to put them

Thank goodness it's not only me! - I've got pots & pots of things (mainly cheaply bought or cuttings) which I will find the perfect place for eventually......

02/05/2013 at 19:17

Me too 

02/05/2013 at 19:45

That's Ok then, I'm not on my own. I don't impulse buy anything else but I'm not safe in a nursery. And I can't stop propagating things. I was looking at a pot of epimedium today, Didn't look too well. I wondered why I was keeping it. Theres a patch of the plant a metre across in the garden, why would I want some in a pot?

02/05/2013 at 20:02

We are all guilty of doing that. Taking seeds of nigella,' just in case' which I love , but I've already got them coming up all over the garden. When I prune shrubs I always feel bad about throwing the cuttings away and usually pot them up and tend them religiously until they are growing well. But then I don't know what to do with them! Certainly no space in my garden . You can't see an inch of soil between plants!

I have friends and family who are usually happy to find homes for them.

02/05/2013 at 20:15

...you are not alone... compulsive plant purchaser signing in... today I bought a fragrant Daphne, Dianthus 'Kahori' which I absolutely love, Chamaecyparis Boulevard... some Lilium speciosum... a Hebe, ..oh my goodness all sorts of lovely things... no idea where they're going at the moment...  I did reject one plant..

incidentally, I got a 60 litre bag multi purpose Westland compost for £2... special offer... I think it was a Wyevale centre...

03/05/2013 at 07:08

Klink - I brought Philadelphus from my last house and had them in pots for three years before deciding where to put them.  They were fine, although didn't grow much, and never flowered.  As soon as I put them in the ground they romped away, and now flower beautifully.  So I would say it is ok as a temporary home, but maybe not as a permanent solution if you want them to perform at their best.

Love the scent from their flowers -seems to travel round the whole garden

03/05/2013 at 07:44

I think we all do it Klink so don't worry! As chick says some plants will survive no prob for quite a long time as long as they're cared for but it doesn't mean it's ideal for them long  term. Many plants will do just as well or even better in pots as it gives them protection or better/different conditions than the ground-really depends on your own situation.

Salino- re the compost. I got some from Homebase last week and it seems good. Not suitable for ericaceous plants (which I hadn't realised as it is multi purpose) but I'm using it mainly for repotting and breaking up solid clumps in new front bed so it's fine. Have you noticed they all seem to be 60L bags instead of 75? Sign of the times 

03/05/2013 at 09:38

I have a 3 year old golden leaved philadelphus, which I have potted on each year and now it's chest high, bushy and covered in buds in a knee high pot. I half filled the pot with manure, earth and compost and topped it up with compost. But I don't know how long it will stay like that. I needed something big and bright for a dark corner of the terrace.

03/05/2013 at 10:05

Philadelphus will grow in pots but ....as already mentioNed.....the growth and flowering will not be as good.

If you can, Klink, I would try and find a spot in the garden for it asap.  It will grow much better and produce more and better flowers next year then for you.

I too have so many...so many....plants in pots waiting to be planted.  Know I want them but they have to go in the right ....perfect....spot.  Eventually they usually end up where I want them

03/05/2013 at 10:44

I spend a lot of time worying about the 'right place' Verdun. At the same time my brain does know that if I've put it in the wrong place it can be moved, and that it would be better planted somewhere than left in a pot.

03/05/2013 at 10:57

Wise words nut.

03/05/2013 at 11:09

Pity it's not followed up by wise action Verdun

03/05/2013 at 13:35

hi Fairygirl,

re compost.  I've also noticed that 60 litres are now becoming 56... I think I was lucky to get 60 to be honest... it's happening with everything isn't it..?

I think most large shrubs need repotting every couple of years.  I've just repotted a large Hibiscus 'Blue Bird', fortunately it has a compact root ball.  Not terribly struck on deciduous shrubs in pots but I can't get rid of it...  Evergreens seems more suited to pot culture, to my eye... don't know what anyone else thinks of that...

03/05/2013 at 13:55

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23027.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

Here's mine, looks smaller in the photo than it is.

03/05/2013 at 15:48

Thank you all for your replies.Yes i'm afraid it was an impulse buy  

I have so many things in various pots just waiting to be planted out but there's only so much i can get done between work shifts.My garden was abandoned when i left for a year or so (divorce forced me to move out for a while) and i'm afraid the whole thing got away.I'm working steadily to restore it to it's former glory but it's tough going,even in a small garden!

Meanwhile,my impulse buying will no doubt continue and i shall look to you all for help, if you don't mind

03/05/2013 at 16:21

Klink- I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm starting yet again and sometimes it's tough but you'll get there. I promise!!

I'm reading between the lines ....glad you've got your garden back.

Your garden 

03/05/2013 at 16:27

Thanks Fairygirl 

03/05/2013 at 16:46
Klink wrote (see)

Thanks Fairygirl 

You're very welcome 

Salino- I know what you mean about evergreens and pots but I guess the answer is to enjoy the deciduous shrub and when it's finished move it somewhere till the following year and replace it with another specimen to enjoy.

1 to 20 of 25 messages