London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
13 messages
10/06/2012 at 13:31

My philadelphus virginal is 3 years old. It has a lot of growth and I was expecting a dazzling display this year. All I have is one branch with about 6 of the wonderful flowers on. Too late for this year, but what have I done wrong? How can I get a display next year? 

10/06/2012 at 13:36

How are you pruning it? It is quite fussy in how it's done. Full details here.

11/06/2012 at 08:12

That's a good link Alina. My Philadelphus took about 4-5 years before it started flowering.

11/06/2012 at 10:18

Thank you both. That link looks good and I will have a go at cutting back all branches in a week or so by a third. May see the results next year.

11/06/2012 at 16:18

bjay, That wasn't the advice. Prune all branches to a third, then prune a third of those down to ground level. My own Philadelphus 'Virginal' has never been pruned, ever, in fifteen years so I aim to carry out this task in a few weeks time. It's quite unruly at present.

11/06/2012 at 20:51

I've had one of these for years and never done anything with it until last year when I gave it a good prune and it's absolutely beautiful this year. More flowers that I can ever remember it having before. 

15/06/2014 at 23:05

how do I drow this from a cutting?! any helpful links will be muchly appreiciated!

17/06/2014 at 21:46

Hi,

My wife fell in love with philadelphus virginal when she saw/smelt a large one in full flower in a neighbour's garden. I asked if I could take a small cutting and they happily obliged. We grew it in a small pot in our utiltily room as a hardwood cutting over winter 2012/13 and then popped it in our cold frame in the following spring (potting on as it grew) and then finally planted it in the garden proper last autumn. It is now in full flower despite being relatively small and it looks stunning and smells amazing. So the simple answer is just use the normal hardwood cutting method and you won't go far wrong!

17/06/2014 at 22:09

One year on and mine is still pathetic - lots of leaf no flowers. It's going, it has had a year and that is that.

17/06/2014 at 22:16

I agree - it is a beautiful shrub -  the smell is exquisite and the flowers are so pretty.  You may be able to take off side shoots from the bottom of your shrub.  I have managed to get four extra shrubs that way and all have since flowered.  They don't have multi branches right enough but they are still very pretty shapes and all flowered the following year.

17/06/2014 at 22:21

Sorry Matty2 my post crossed with yours.  What a shame though, could it be in the shade.  Mine are in full sun. If you are serious about getting rid of it, why not divide it and plant a bit somewhere sunny or in the opposite conditions to where it is now to see if there is more success?  They replant very easily, at least mine did - although you will have to water it copiously all summer if you do so.

17/06/2014 at 22:34

I could try a cutting - just for the hell of it - though will probably buy a new one and as you say plant in a slightly different place.

Thanks for encouragement

18/06/2014 at 00:21

Well.  Last year I dug up my subject.  It is/was about fifteen feet tall and well branched.  It annoyed me that all the growth and flowers were up and over the fence.  Never mind the right or wrong time to move plants and shrubs.  Put it down to 'poetic licence'.  All by myself I dug it out and dragged it up the garden.  Taking out a suitable hole behind the garden seat and the greenhouse. I stuffed it in.   Wowee! this year.  The fragrance really filled the air, but where are the flowers?  Michael you big twit.  As all that you did, was to move the tree/shrub fom one end of the fence to the other.  So my glorious P.virginal looked out towards the south.  I have every intention of moving it yet again.  This time to the other border,  Then hopefully.  The blossoms will bower over my entry path to my workshop.

email image
13 messages