London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
10 messages
03/09/2014 at 17:56

I have many Phormiums  around the garden .I have bought   a   phormium  cream delight . The area I want to put it is dry sandy soil  in the shade . What I was thinking is if I plant it in a compost bag  make holes and filled with better compost  concealing it with more compost  .what do you think .this is to prevent it drying out .or will it get too wet etc

03/09/2014 at 18:15

They like drier conditions anyway grandma, especially over winter. The shade will be more of an issue than the soil I think. It may lose a bit of it's colour which would be a shame. I have this one and it's particularly nice. Mine is in a raised bed in full sun although I mostly grow Phormiums in containers and I always make sure they have good drainage as we get a lot of rain. I'd add a bit of compost to your soil just to give it a boost, and retain a little more moisture if you're worried about it  

Is it the shade of a tree where it's going?

03/09/2014 at 18:28

I will try and get a photo but yes it is the shade from trees  and hedge.we are considering taking some branches from the  big old apple tree and try to do something with the towering pine tree.then beyond this is fields. So I should get dappled shade 

This is what I'm working on

03/09/2014 at 18:47

It won't be the best site for a phormium but they're pretty tough. Just a thought  - I've found it to be a much more compact variety than many of the others, so it may be a bit lost there unless you have something else in behind it as well. That could be tricky with the conditions you'll have.

03/09/2014 at 18:56

For me Phormiums are adaptable.  Cream delight is a vsriety I think will do well there. Worth trying.  No, wouldnt put it in compost bag.  Best to use its contents in the soil.  I grow a variety ....or the life of me I can't remember the name but it's not common.....with very sharp dark green and yellow leaves in quite a bit of shade.  The name  will come to me though

03/09/2014 at 19:00

Got it.  Alison Blackman 

03/09/2014 at 19:42

I had also wondered about adding a tall grass  too . This would complete the look  if there is one in white , to give a lacey effect as it is quite a deep corner leading on to broad borders either side. The hostas would also improve this part of the garden. 

So verdun this is where you come in ,can I pick your brains please?

You know your grasses! Gran

03/09/2014 at 21:01

White grasses?  Miscanthus variegatus .....have posted pics...is a tall then fountain like white variegated  grass.  For me the whitest tall grass and is a favourite  of mine  

For a shorter grass Arrhenatherum bulbosum is superb over winter into summer.  Very white clean erect bright plant .

04/09/2014 at 00:17

Hi Verdun, I had remembered your pics of grasses  and admired them.

They  are all beautiful, it's with seeing them I knew you could best advise me,but can you remind me which thread .just come to me it could be your own thread of what's good in your garden ?

I shall nip over and do a quick check ,and if I have it wrong check back here!

Thanks again x

04/09/2014 at 08:03

Morning Cangrandmafixit the thread is "grasses" .

Just checked....on page 3 of "grasses" 

email image
10 messages